Why become a member? ×

My first time with flats...

mike257

Hola! After putting it off for ages, I stuck a set of Webstrings flats on my Sandberg today, and whipped it out for tonights gig. Crikey!! I've never used flats before, but I absolutely loved the tone and the feel of them. I was plugged into someone else's battered old Laney Linebacker, but the bottom end was magic. I was playing with a couple of acoustic guitars and it sounded so much more 'right' than it ever has with rounds. I think i'm converted, at least for my acoustic-based gigs. Can't wait to try it through my rig proper and see how well they rock out :)

So yeah, why have none of you insisted I do this sooner?

[quote name='mike257' post='348297' date='Dec 8 2008, 02:29 AM']Hola! After putting it off for ages, I stuck a set of Webstrings flats on my Sandberg today, and whipped it out for tonights gig. Crikey!! I've never used flats before, but I absolutely loved the tone and the feel of them. I was plugged into someone else's battered old Laney Linebacker, but the bottom end was magic. I was playing with a couple of acoustic guitars and it sounded so much more 'right' than it ever has with rounds. I think i'm converted, at least for my acoustic-based gigs. Can't wait to try it through my rig proper and see how well they rock out :)

So yeah, why have none of you insisted I do this sooner?[/quote]

I think they're nice strings too, & don't take too long to settle in, if played a bit.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='348594' date='Dec 8 2008, 01:42 PM']I put flats on one of my 6 strings and it seemed to increase the tension in the strings quite a bit (which I love). Is that normal?[/quote]

I would say yeah, but some may disagree. Thats partly why I love flats, along with the smooth tone.
Though I still keep a couple of basses primed with nickel & steel rounds.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='348594' date='Dec 8 2008, 01:42 PM']I put flats on one of my 6 strings and it seemed to increase the tension in the strings quite a bit (which I love). Is that normal?[/quote]

Quite normal unless you go for a set of tomastik flats,one of my favorite set are Ernie ball flats in .100 gauge (4 string), nice tension, smooth to play with enough top end. Never thought i would be singing the praises of EB strings but these are great kit.

[quote name='ziggenpuss' post='348578' date='Dec 8 2008, 01:34 PM']Big fan of flats for Motown, Stax and Reggae...oh, and Iron Maiden stuff too![/quote]

Yeah, I'm loving the big round bottom end. I hadn't realised Steve Harris played flats, one of the singers I was playing with told me on Sunday! I guess it gives me a reason to keep all these basses - I can have a flats bass and a rounds bass, and erm... a spare of each :)

Honest, I need them all!

I haven't used anything but flats for some years - usually TI Jazz Flats but also D'Addario Chromes. Love that thummp; hate that zzing.

However, yesterday I restrung my Precision BEAD using TI Jazz Rounds - the very light .118 B string requires no nut filing. Not too bad for a round string but if I take to the BEAD tuning I'll be getting the nut filed and some flats.

I've personally used La Bella flats for the last ten years or so, and I wouldn't change back. As to how long you can leave them on, how long is a piece of string? :) If they sound a bit 'wrong' after 6 months or so, go for it, but only your ears can tell you what's right for you. :huh:

(I've had the same set on my Precision for two years, but don't tell anybody.) :huh: