Why become a member? ×

Single coils or humbuckers?

paul h

Just thinking about pick up preferences.

I like single coils and I'm not too keen on humbuckers. This made we wonder if you guys have a particular preference and if that choice is exclusive? Do you only like single coils or only humbuckers? Or do you like both, on separate instruments or combined on one?

And even more specifically I Like alnico single coils more than ceramic...and thanks to the charming and handsome Prosebass I have a set now installed in my SX J.

Don't be shy.

Paul.

Humbuckers.

If I could get a Jazz with soapbars installed in the position of the single coils, I think I'd be in heaven for comfort, sound is obviously dependant on a number of things, but I like the huge space to rest my fingers on, and they sound much fatter generally.

It's the reason I picked up another T-Bird, they sound great, although, I'd probably also like a J-MM config as well.

IME soapbars are almost always humbuckers of some kind.
Back to the question, I find single coils almost useless in the kinds of pubs we often play with quite appalling and inconsistent power supplies that hum and buzz (Saturdays' wandered between 220 and 260v).
SO generally humbuckers for me fairly close to the bridge (I hate muddy humbuckers).
Having said all that I LOVE the sound of a good jazz with both pups on full.

"'Scuse the n00b question, but are "soapbars" humbuckers in disguse? If so, are they always? Or is "soapbar" just a generic name for large p'ups? "

I must be a n00b too because I thought soapbars referred to the white/cream coloured plastic pickups usually found on Gibson guitars (usually P90 single coils). Not seen that sort of thing on a bass but...