Why become a member? ×

Don't want to fork out for a Helix? Check out these alternatives...

Al Krow

1 hour ago, eude said:

If I had the money, I'd just buy a Helix, but I've gone from selling all my pedals, bar one, to buy a wee Zoom thing to stretching my budget a little in the hope of getting something with a little bit more for less than a real Helix...

If it can match Zoom for sound quality I'll be delighted, and if it has solid build quality even better!

I'm going to hold fire till all the NAMM announcements have been made, but I'm getting pretty close to pulling the trigger now.

Eude

Hah - you've got me gassing for a Hotone now (and I've got a Helix Stomp - lol). 

I've got my Helix on my main board and I was thinking of setting up a little mini board for rehearsals when I can't be doing with the faff of taking a lot of gear out. But looking at the Hotone that frankly could be the mini board! Lol! 

• Like 1

Well Si very kindly went and had a look.

image.thumb.png.0c47cb5632cde9b35c5bf03667a745fa.png

He says the patch setup is pretty easy, the touch screen isn't as sensitive as hoped (perhaps its and old school capacitive one) but works well enough.
His only concern is that you can't run parallel signals across the whole thing, so you're relying on the patches to have wet/dry control, which not all of them do. The only that would really be an issue is when using drive modes I expect, however there are two bass specific drives, both with wet/dry. There's loads of other guitar ones though, which have the ability to EQ, but it's not quite the same.
Fear not though, I expect there will be more options with this stuff if you're plugged into a computer, and there's bound to be updates, patches, new effects etcs.
Si also confirmed that you can order the effects as you wish, as you just assign them to "FX Bays".

If you check the manual out >> http://www.hotoneaudio.com/downloads/manual/Ampero/MP-100(Ampero)_Online Manual_EN_V01_190119.pdf
You can see the extent of the patches and sims, and what they're based on, it looks pretty good, better for guitarists obviously, but we don't have equality yet ;)

Looks to me that, much like everyone else doing similar things, you can set up sound patches, with everything you want and then recall them as you need them, or just use it more like a set of stomp boxes.

I'm extremely close to pulling the trigger on one. They're up for preorder all over now, but I expect they will sell out fast...

Eude

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sibob said:

When I asked about global parallel processing (Ie a ‘blend’ for everything) they were like ‘oh that’s a good idea’.....so who knows, you may even get a firmware update sometime :)

Si

Fingers crossed!

52 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Tricky. You can pick up a used B3N for around the £100 mark and it's a really good pedal. 

Yup.

I'm basically looking for a some decent effects for occasional use.

• A few reasonable amp and cab sims
  • Distortion - good drive through to all out dirt
  • Octaver
  • Chorus
  • Reverb
  • AutoWah, although the ability to have regular Wah with an expression pedal is very desirable
  • A Whammy type effect with an expression pedal would rock
  • Aux in - Headphone out
  • A DI would be nice but not a deal breaker

I'm not massive concerned about insanely crystal clear reproductions of exisiting pedals, it just needs to work well with active bass and not be too fiddly.
My main concerns with the Ampero is the price compared to the B3n, I could pick up a new B3n and an expression for less than 50% of the cost, and the fact that the Ampero is designed with Guitarists in mind first, with a smattering of bass specific content, is this similar to the Helix?

I'm only really going to be using this for home use for a while, but I know from previous experience, Zoom stuff is extremely hard to kill even when gigged a lot...

Eude

Edited by eude

I must admit after using the HX Effects for a short while, I have gone back to the B3 for a bit. The HX can do so much more, and it is great on the guitar, but after repairing the B3, it kind of does what I want at the moment, so until i get a set of patches I like, it might just stay there.

6 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I must admit after using the HX Effects for a short while, I have gone back to the B3 for a bit. The HX can do so much more, and it is great on the guitar, but after repairing the B3, it kind of does what I want at the moment, so until i get a set of patches I like, it might just stay there.

That's the kind of issue I was worried about, what with the Ampero being design for guitar first, and the B3n being all about that bass, if you'll pardon the pun.
Sound quality wise, do you find that the B3n is good enough?

image.thumb.png.c14e168b7c7052dbaece4f45c3d17011.png

Edited by eude

3 hours ago, eude said:

That's the kind of issue I was worried about, what with the Ampero being design for guitar first, and the B3n being all about that bass, if you'll pardon the pun.
Sound quality wise, do you find that the B3n is good enough?

DOn't know, I don't have a B3n, just a B3. When I am sitting at home I think the helix sounds better. When I am in a pub playing covers at high volumes (and way too fast), it is certainly good enough

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Don't know, I don't have a B3n, just a B3. When I am sitting at home I think the helix sounds better. When I am in a pub playing covers at high volumes (and way too fast), it is certainly good enough

That sums the whole gear journey up for me perfectly, Woody!

I hear and appreciate the nuances of great tone when practising at home. Live with full band and ear plugs in, not so much! 

Oh, dear.

I'll be using it at home almost exclusively, maybe for a bit of recording too. I also do have a couple of guitars, so having something guitar friendly would probably be useful.

I'm swinging back to the Ampero again, I was hoping Zoom would've come along with something a little like that at NAMM but they only revised their lower end offerings...

Confused...

Eude

4 hours ago, eude said:

I'll be using it at home almost exclusively, maybe for a bit of recording too. I also do have a couple of guitars, so having something guitar friendly would probably be useful.

If I was home only and recording I would get helix native. Failing that a helix LT. 

Or if I had less money I would be happy with a B3(n).

8 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

If I was home only and recording I would get helix native. Failing that a helix LT. 

Or if I had less money I would be happy with a B3(n).

I do have less money, which is bringing me back to the Ampero, again...

Just for info, the Mooer GE300 is going to be roughly £699 according to the Andertons guys >>

That only make's it £50 shy of a proper Helix LT, right?
Coming in April 2019. If I worked in sales at Line6, I'd be dropping the price of the Helix LT by £75 just before this came out...

Eude

Edited by eude

51 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Wow! That is interesting. Mooer's pitch is cheap and cheerful + reasonable quality (that's sometimes been ripped off). 

Well if they're going head to head with Line 6, then I know which horse I'll be staying on! 😎 

Yup, I think they've aimed a little too high there. They've apparently got a GE150 coming too with the same engine and less buttons like the Ampero, wonder where that will sit price wise?

image.thumb.png.4ffe49c2bd2d834bb5dfe4cf6f004f0f.png

Eude

Edited by eude
No with piccie...