Why become a member? ×

Getgood drums?

Bigwan

I've been using EZD2 in my home studio for a long while, but my 'new' band have just been tracking drums using GGD and the mixes are sounding really good. I've only got a demo on my home machine to play with so I can't really comment on use I'm afraid.

I've several drum packages (normal; I'm a drummer..! 9_9 ), but hadn't come across this one before now. I've had a scout around their site, and listened to a fair bit of it, and if that style, or sound, is what's required, they seem pretty darned good. Personally I look for more variation than just playing kick and snare, so brushes, hot-rods, timpani sticks etc are important to me, as well as left hand/right hand nuances, and could see nothing of the sort.
If you want to compare something, have a look at BFD3, which is slightly more costly (but not excessively so...), but has, it seems to me, far more scope for differing styles. Stuff like Superior Drummer 2 would not be a fair comparison, nor MDrummer, but there are several other drum sets out there. If you're using Kontakt, for instance, there are Shreddage drums that are wonderful for... errr... shreddage. 'Strike', from Air Music Technology are good, too, as are KVLT drums (yes, that's how they spell it...). Vast choice, really.
I'll probably download the free set, just to see how they stack up; if they're really as good as they say, I'll invest, but they're up against stiff competition.

I think Nolly does really great work, and the GGD stuff sounds brilliant. But I found the setup of the free download to be tedious and actually gave up before I used it. I have a bunch of XLN Drums stuff, purely for demoing purposes, and it was much easier to setup and start using. I don't use Kontakt normally, so that's probably half the issue, but still, it put me off.

If he can sort out the setup issue, or move away from Kontakt, would probably look again.

Si

Follow-up, having installed and tried 'em...
No, I'll not be keeping these. The individual sounds are good enough, but there is very little flexibility; you hit the drum and it goes 'Thwack', and that's it. For bashing out a rudimentary beat, it works, but it's not very 'tweakable', and the interface (what one sees on screen...) is very primitive indeed, compared to other systems. It might have had some success ten years ago, if only for the sounds (at the time...), but it really doesn't 'cut the mustard' these days, for me at least. OK, it's for free to download, so doesn't deserve to be spat at, but I'm not inspired to go further and invest when there are so many more with more appealing features. A 'noobie' in the Market, so maybe there'll be further developments, and a better Mk II..?
Hope this helps.