Why become a member? ×

Rattle on a bottom E

ednaplate

My Spector Euro has developed what I can only describe as a rattle on the E string. I thought it may have been a problem with the nut but it also occurs whenever I fret a note. All the other strings ring good and true. The E string rings to and then there is this metallic sounding rattle/vibration that is starting to annoy me on an otherwise fantastic guitar.

It's due some new strings but before I replace them is there anything else I should consider?

[quote name='ednaplate' post='343975' date='Dec 3 2008, 12:33 PM']My Spector Euro has developed what I can only describe as a rattle on the E string. I thought it may have been a problem with the nut but it also occurs whenever I fret a note. All the other strings ring good and true. The E string rings to and then there is this metallic sounding rattle/vibration that is starting to annoy me on an otherwise fantastic guitar.

It's due some new strings but before I replace them is there anything else I should consider?[/quote]

Has the bridge saddle become lowered?

Depending on how long youve had the strings for, your technique.... Id gues its just an old string which is not behaving in the same way. If you slide to a particular position a lot and bend on that fret youre gonna end up with a kink which, when the string i plucked, will move that little bit further to the frets than the rest of the string giving a rattle.

Make it rattle , and systematically press your finger on anything that may have worked loose to see if it stops. I'd start with the bridge saddle screws and don't forget the strap buttons. I'm guessing this is the cause.

If it's saddle screws - when you come to readjust them bung some nail varnish on the threads - in fact , do that anyway.

Thanks for the replies. I've tried all your suggestions but it's made no difference. One thing that did occur to me is whether it would be a truss rod problem. It seems unlikely as the whole thing is so well put together. I might have to take it to a gu!t@t!st friend of mine to have a look at.

Okay I've had this problem sorted and it turned out to be quite interesting and a combination of two things. I took it to Ged Green in Cheadle and he diagnosed a slight truss rod problem (easily and quickly remedied). However there was still an annoying rattle which after taking the E string off and replacing it was completely solved. What Ged thinks was the problem is that the winding on the string wasn't tight enough allowing the core of the string to vibrate against the inner surface of the winding and this is what I was hearing.

All I can say it was a quick ten minute job although I could have stayed in his workshop all day. He is in the process of making a couple of jazzes and all I can say is the quality of the work is stunning. The red jazz in particular is just beautiful. Check out www.gedgreen.co.uk

• 4 weeks later...

I had a similar duff string problem a while ago. Tried damping all the parts of the bass then found it was the string itself - I guess a loose winding.
But I was wondering what the truss rod problem rectified was - was that an action thing or was it actually causing another rattle ?

[quote name='ednaplate' post='349105' date='Dec 8 2008, 09:37 PM']Okay I've had this problem sorted and it turned out to be quite interesting and a combination of two things. I took it to Ged Green in Cheadle and he diagnosed a slight truss rod problem (easily and quickly remedied). However there was still an annoying rattle which after taking the E string off and replacing it was completely solved. What Ged thinks was the problem is that the winding on the string wasn't tight enough allowing the core of the string to vibrate against the inner surface of the winding and this is what I was hearing.

All I can say it was a quick ten minute job although I could have stayed in his workshop all day. He is in the process of making a couple of jazzes and all I can say is the quality of the work is stunning. The red jazz in particular is just beautiful. Check out www.gedgreen.co.uk[/quote]

[quote name='uptonmark' post='368555' date='Jan 2 2009, 03:40 PM']just drop it on the floor, then the rest of the bass will rattle so you wont be so aware of the E string :)[/quote]

My rule number 1. Always change the string first before assuming it's the Guitar/Bass

My rule number 2. Don't attempt to diagnose anything yourself, even with the help of a forum such as this. Even the very knowledgeable members are shooting in the dark if they can't see the thing.

You did exactly the right thing taking it to Ged. Guy knows his stuff. Bet he didn't charge you much for sorting it either...

I had a rattle on my US jazz. Only noticeable when unplugged. I discovered that some thing on or in the tunning machine was rattling. I played the E open and held the peg with my left hand to damp the vibration. No rattle. Doesnot effect tuning or sound when amplified. Just a bit annoying when having an unplugged mess about.

Strange!