Why become a member? ×

Threatin, BBC article

skidder652003

1 minute ago, Sibob said:

They've got more free time than most of us then lol

The guy is an idiot, as you mention, narcissistic and pretty creepy, but doesn't deserve physical hurt.
If people sold it out then didn't turn up, I'd kinda get it.......can't even get people in the room after it sold out.....but he would see that as a win. Because of his personally traits, there's not a lot that could happen that he wouldn't see as a win.

But that's all still pretty cynical and negative where the music industry is concerned, shouldn't really be encouraged and further, especially in the pretty close-knit rock scene IMO.

Si

Just to clarify, I wasn't advocating violence towards him or Daphne & Celeste. I should have put that bit in quotation marks as it was representing the hypothetical thought process of the people who thought about the potential train wreck of a show whilst rubbing their hands with glee.

6 minutes ago, Wolverinebass said:

Just to clarify, I wasn't advocating violence towards him or Daphne & Celeste. I should have put that bit in quotation marks as it was representing the hypothetical thought process of the people who thought about the potential train wreck of a show whilst rubbing their hands with glee.

Of course, I know you weren't, but as you say, it's a possibility. I don't believe a few plastic cups in the underworld is going to hurt anyone, but it still feeds into this cynical move from the Underworld IMO. They know they'll get coverage from BBC and other media probably, if something kicks off, it'll be 'great' for them.

Si

1 minute ago, Sibob said:

Of course, I know you weren't, but as you say, it's a possibility. I don't believe a few plastic cups in the underworld is going to hurt anyone, but it still feeds into this cynical move from the Underworld IMO. They know they'll get coverage from BBC and other media probably, if something kicks off, it'll be 'great' for them.

Si

I played the Underworld a couple of weeks ago - glass bottles can be purchased at the bar so it's not a few plastic cups if people really object (although the stage/venue security is pretty good and I doubt anyone launching anything at the stage would get away with it for long).  They won't want any negative publicity about bands getting bottles thrown at them at a gig in their venue, especially not in these strict venue licencing times.

Not sure I see anybody buying a ticket for the privilege of throwing drinks at a band they don't like - to use the Daphne & Celeste example, nobody bought tickets to see them and throw stuff, they bought tickets to see rock bands and didn't think that the pop act should be on stage (not that I am defending what happened).  I simply don't agree that putting on a band that everybody thinks is a joke is done to try and spark violence - it's a big leap.

Whether it's a cynical ploy for ticket sales, and whether the Underworld are to blame rather depends on who is promoting the gig.  If it's Threatin' doing it again then he needs to take responsibility, and even if it isn't he needs to take responsibility for accepting the gig.  And if that is the case then the Underworld don't directly care about ticket sales as that money is going to the promoter, not to them (although, as previously, they do care about selling beer and paying people to sell that beer so it's always in their interests to get as many people in as possible). 

If the Underworld are promoting the gig themselves they they will very much care about ticket sales as they will be paying the band a fixed fee, but I'd be amazed if that was anything like enough money to fly the band over for one show.  My guess is that somebody else is promoting a tour

39 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

I played the Underworld a couple of weeks ago - glass bottles can be purchased at the bar so it's not a few plastic cups if people really object (although the stage/venue security is pretty good and I doubt anyone launching anything at the stage would get away with it for long).  They won't want any negative publicity about bands getting bottles thrown at them at a gig in their venue, especially not in these strict venue licencing times.

Not sure I see anybody buying a ticket for the privilege of throwing drinks at a band they don't like - to use the Daphne & Celeste example, nobody bought tickets to see them and throw stuff, they bought tickets to see rock bands and didn't think that the pop act should be on stage (not that I am defending what happened).  I simply don't agree that putting on a band that everybody thinks is a joke is done to try and spark violence - it's a big leap.

Whether it's a cynical ploy for ticket sales, and whether the Underworld are to blame rather depends on who is promoting the gig.  If it's Threatin' doing it again then he needs to take responsibility, and even if it isn't he needs to take responsibility for accepting the gig.  And if that is the case then the Underworld don't directly care about ticket sales as that money is going to the promoter, not to them (although, as previously, they do care about selling beer and paying people to sell that beer so it's always in their interests to get as many people in as possible). 

If the Underworld are promoting the gig themselves they they will very much care about ticket sales as they will be paying the band a fixed fee, but I'd be amazed if that was anything like enough money to fly the band over for one show.  My guess is that somebody else is promoting a tour

On some of the posts on Facebook, The Underworld account is out there actively defending the show, kinda laying into people, which is weird.....however I can see a 'Nightshift Promotions' listed on the event to, so......
There was also a suggestion from someone else (completely uncorroborated on my behalf), that the gig was all expenses paid for the band. Again, don't know how true all that is, other facts may be available 😉.

I'm taking bets on whether no glass bottles being served on that gig haha

Si

my reading of the Underworld's responses for this is that they've charged the promoter enough to cover their costs, not the band's:

https://www.facebook.com/events/238690053688857/?active_tab=discussion

Although they also refer to not paying the band if they don't show up...that could be a clause that they don't have to hand over any of the ticket money, or perhaps they do have something to do with promoting the gig

Either way, they do seem to see the irony/humour of booking the band again and are quite happy if nobody turns up this time, or if the crowd are only there to see how bad the show is.