Why become a member? ×

New here, W.Yorks. Newish to bass too!

Chipps

Hi, I'm one of those 'average guitarists for 10 years, took up bass and found out that it's the thing for me' kind of folks.

I've been trying to make up for it though - I started on a (surprisingly fine) Cort C4 and I'm now up to a s/h Warwick Corvette and an Ampeg Portabass combo...

Can't play: Anything remotely impressive...

Lives - in the dark, satanic valleys twixt Rochdale and Halifax...

[quote name='Adam.M' post='342616' date='Dec 2 2008, 08:06 AM']Why hello, I'm from Leeds :)

I wish i could have such fine equipment, i probably could if i sold my guitars![/quote]

Well, I'd like to say that the bass came from my vast personal fortune, but there was some guitar selling that went on... I still have some nice guitars too though...

Thanks for the welcome. It's nice here. :huh:

[quote name='Funkmaster' post='342678' date='Dec 2 2008, 09:45 AM']And a hello from Wakefield too.

WIth your list of likes and your location I'm wondering if you're a Colne Blues festival regular?

David[/quote]

I've been the last couple of years (it took me a few years to actually get to hear about it, not being an original Northerner) but only for a day or so each time. I plan on doing the whole thing next year though. It's great.

[quote name='Chipps' post='343170' date='Dec 2 2008, 04:23 PM']As a 'not a northerner' who just lives here... I'm allowed to say that it's all the same, isn't it? :)[/quote]

i'm a not-northerner too! i've found that you can joke about most things, but not about the other side of the hills, Chipps. thats just asking for trouble.

another hello and welcome from leeds!

x

And to add to the geographic craziness, I'm three miles inside Yorkshire, but I have a Lancashire postcode. Winds everyone up no end... :)

Seeing as we have a good selection of 'locals' on here, can we have a roundup of good live music venues? That's probably needing a new topic, but let me know if there's been anything similar on here...

I've lived here since I was born in 1842 , so to explain the major differences , and the only ones worth mentioning........

Here in West Yorks we fry fish and chips properly in beef dripping - a fishcake is scraps of fish between 2 large slices of spud fried in batter. Fish is defined as cod or haddock.

In South Yorks - if you ask for a fishcake you get a poncy mashed potato thing the size of a 10p piece. You have to ask for a patty which sounds stupid , you musn't say please or thankyou , and you have to have a fight with somebody while you wait.

In North Yorks - you may be asked if you want plaice , the chips are ordered by the 'packet' rather than the 'bag' and cost £83 per portion , it's traditional to set your dog on a fox before eating your meal in any 4x4 vehicle that's 'not foreign'.

Over to the east is Humberside , where nobody admits to living , insisting instead that it's East Yorks. Or East Riding if you're over the age of 70 - which nobody is - mostly because they eat fish and chips 17 times per day - and the dozy sods leave the skin on. Euugh. There are some really pretty towns around here where fresh fish used to be landed until the Spanish stole them all. Neither of these towns are Hull or Grimsby. Don't ever go to either.

Going through passport control at Todmorden you enter Lancashire , though I can't recall why you'd want to. Here you must tell the folk in the fish shop that you actually find Peter Kaye funny. Mimic his accent if you must , it's easy - simply form everything into a question. ie. 'it's cold outside, is it not?'
The fish is caught off the west coast - a tad too close to Sellafield for me - possibly the reason your portion has more than one tail and still burns your lips when it's cold.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

Next Week...............Lahndahn town - and how the fish and chips were so much nicer in the old days when the 'twins' were around 'the manor' and the Queen Mahm fried them all personally - 'gawd bless 'er'

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='344184' date='Dec 3 2008, 02:44 PM']Hope this clears up any confusion.

Next Week...............Lahndahn town - and how the fish and chips were so much nicer in the old days when the 'twins' were around 'the manor' and the Queen Mahm fried them all personally - 'gawd bless 'er'[/quote]

Would you like a fishcake with that big chip on your shoulder? :)

Very entertaining - and, having wondered what the funny potato slice thing was instead of a decent fishcake, I now know!

I'd also add that in Yorkshire, the fish and chips are meant for your tea, which means that all the chip shops open at 5pm and are closed by 8pm, which is about three hours before anyone in their right mind wants some fish and chips...

[quote name='Chipps' post='344218' date='Dec 3 2008, 03:10 PM']I'd also add that in Yorkshire, the fish and chips are meant for your tea, which means that all the chip shops open at 5pm and are closed by 8pm, which is about three hours before anyone in their right mind wants some fish and chips...[/quote]

Ah - but that's what kebab shops are for , you can't possibly eat those til it's dark and , crucial , when you've had at least 14 pints of 'Bassenthwaites awld wifebeater'. I so enjoy watching them trimming all the rotten,brown bits off a lettuce and placing them into my pitta bread.

I rang our kebab shop the other night and said 'do you deliver?'
Bloke said 'No - just lamb and chicken'.

So I nipped round the chip shop and asked for fish and chips
Bloke said 'wrapped?'
So I said 'Yo , motherf**ker , gimmeee fish,gimmee,fish,fish,fish and chi chi chi chi chips innit bro'

Edited by Dr.Dave