Why become a member? ×

Every Bass I've ever had!

josh3184

First off a crappy encore pk40 that I shall hate forever- first of all for having a crap setup and second because it was left handed and I wish I'd persevered and learnt right handed instead :) Ah well, sold it to a mate for £20 for a project he was doin. No regrets whatsoever.
[attachment=16657:1.JPG]

Second a Rockbass streamer 5 string- good fun this, showed me what a pile of crap the PK40 was!
[attachment=16658:DSC00748.JPG]

Third my Streamer Jazzman 5er. What a departure that was! Never touched the other two again, bought from whynot on this forum, though ages before i knew the forum existed! Gorgeous thing. Do I wish I still had it? Not sure on that, I'm happy with what I've got, though I suppose I'd like to play it again now I'm more experienced, I'm sure I'd get more from it.
[attachment=16659:2.JPG]

Fourth a 6er Corvette from the states. Same story as last one i suppose, would like to play it again! I do believe that Metaltime has made better use of it than I ever would though!
[attachment=16660:DSC00239.JPG]

5th. A Stingray that i got from Metaltime. Love it til death, still one of my main go-to basses. Lovely thing, made me realise that I didn't need more than 4 strings in the end! No longer has the sticker...
[attachment=16661:06102007611.jpeg]

6th. What a bass this is. A Zoot Boudica, for sale now though as its way too good for me to justify having- not sure I'd have the balls to gig it! Wonderful, wonderful bass. Sigh.
[attachment=16662:IMGP0699.jpg]

7th. Ahem. My.. er... brief foray into fretless. A 1991 Warwick Fortress Lasted 5 days I believe. Not a purchase I'm proud of, had a great sound, love the bart precision pickup, but I really can't get on with flatwounds, they do my nut! Had some... shall we say.. flamboyancy with the headstock
[attachment=16663:14052008.jpg]

8th. My most recent beloved, a sterling. Spied this on the bay and just couldn't resist, I've had cravings for a maple neck and a stirling, so with a black on black body it was a no brainer. Nice contrast to the Ray, not sure which I prefer, so don't make me choose!
[attachment=16664:36c4_1.JPG]

A few family shots at various stages!

[attachment=16665:DSC01033.JPG]

[attachment=16666:DSC00242.JPG]

[attachment=16667:01122008072.jpg]

[attachment=16668:01122008076.jpg]

Anyone want any more photos, I've got a few of em all apart from the first un, sorry if I've used anyone elses photos and they want em taken down, I will do happily.

Comments appreciated :huh:

[u][b]NEW ADDITIONS!!![/b][/u]

Well well well. Teal Ray has now gone the journey to someone else and I'm moving on the Sterling. Fickle aren't I? Here's why:

9th. 1979 Musicman Stingray, pre Ernie Ball. Love, love, love this bass, lovely neck and I'm only just noticing it does has a teensy tiny bit of flame on it near the 9th fret which is something else I've looked for. Immensely playable, showed up the teal Ray so away that went... Have now taken off the pickguard as i wanted all that lovely sunbursty-graininess
[attachment=19688:mm_niet_gepoetst.jpg]

10th. As ashamed as i am to say it considering my other current bass, this is now my go-to bass for playability. Warwick Corvette $$. Adore this bass, growl out the hoohaa and a wonderful neck to play on- quite thin but not annoyingly so as the Sterling had started to become. Luverly.
[attachment=19689:landofthegiants.jpg]
Photo used with no permission whatsoever cos I'm like hardcore and that. Woo. Yeah.
Will ask soon, sorry :huh:

Edited by josh3184

A Zoot Boudica- edited now to fill in the two names I left out :)
Thanks for the praise, always nice to know that the instruments are appreciated!
I'll probably get distracted by something else shiny in the future Andy so you never know!

And cetera, hush thine mouth! Lucky right handed git....

[quote name='metaltime' post='341885' date='Dec 1 2008, 01:36 PM']What would you say the tonal differences are between the MM?[/quote]

Oh dear, this is where everyone finds out I know nowt about bass!

If I'm honest there isn't a major difference, for the most part I'd say the Sterling sounds like the Ray with slightly less punch, and I don't think its quite as slappable, but it is easier to fret quickly. IMO of course.
The Sterling is a tad more versatile of course, what with the three way selector

Edited by josh3184

No pics but a brief history on each of the basses I've ever owned.

1. Unknown P-bass copy sold in 1978 to buy an engagement ring. First bass bought afer scrimping and saving. Too long ago to review, but really wish I hadn't sold it. (1976-78)

2. Marlin Slammer P-Bass. Action was rubbish but sound was ok. Sold to fund purchase number 3. I know who has this bass and I want it back. (1986-2000)

3. MIM Fender Jazz. The bass with the most sentimental value, bought in 2000 and finally got me to gigging level. Top sound, great action, just had de-fretted and still great. I will never part with this bass. (2000-present)

4. MIM Fender Jazz 5 string. Never got on with it, couldn't work out what the 5th string was for. Px'd for number 6. (still in the store for sale at a massive markup!) (2002-2005)

5. MIA Fender Precision Deluxe. Lovely looking and sounding bass, p/j pickups bought over ebay. Nothing wrong with this bass, just never played it in anger. Sold to fund some Scuba purchases (2003-2007)

6. MIA Fender Precision. One of my two workhorse basses. It's a fender and it's a Precision not much more to say. I will never part with this bass. (2004-present)

7. Takamine Acoustic Bass. Not my greatest purchase. Need 18in arm extenders to play it really. Nice sound, kept it by pc for trying out new tracks/tabs etc. Not really robust enough for gigging. Sold to fund some Scuba purchases (2004-2007)

8. MM Stingray IV. Best bass purchase s/h. Saw when getting no 5. serviced, just fell in love with it and bought on a complete impulse. I love this bass, my first proper non fender bass (although technically I suppose it is). Third guitar never to be parted with. (2005-present)

9. Crafter 6 Electro Acoustic. Thought I might go over to the darkside and try guitar. Ain't really working out. My ego just isn't big enough. (2006-present)

10. Rickenbacker 4003. Bought in New York and brought back (sneaked it in). Great looking bass and a dream to play. Last one of the dream basses to get....until the next one. (2006-present)

11. MM Stingray V. Just bought this beauty off of basschat.co.uk. Lovely natural colour to compliment bass number 8. Second visit to the mystical art of 5 stringers. Great looking and great sounding piece of kit. (2008-present)

[quote name='budget bassist' post='343217' date='Dec 2 2008, 05:02 PM']Nice collection that! liking the warwicks very muchly, how long you been playing?

And i took the liberty of flipping this photo for you, you could have done it yourself you lazy git! Why does your camera take the pictures backwards anyways? :huh:[/quote]

The cheek! I'm lefty and proud damn you! :) Ooh difficult to pinpoint as I take crap financial records but not long if I'm honest- maybe 5 years? A lot of people may be horified the amount of bass I've gone through in that time, but it all comes through living off sandwiches and spending all my dosh on bass! I think I'm an addict :huh:

[quote name='farmer61' post='343491' date='Dec 2 2008, 08:48 PM']No pics but a brief history on each of the basses I've ever owned.[/quote]

Glad to see someone else chipping in! A way more complete history than mine, thats to be sure! A good read, come on everyone lets see Doctor_of_the_bass have a go! :huh:

[quote name='josh3184' post='344383' date='Dec 3 2008, 05:14 PM']The cheek! I'm lefty and proud damn you! :) Ooh difficult to pinpoint as I take crap financial records but not long if I'm honest- maybe 5 years? A lot of people may be horified the amount of bass I've gone through in that time, but it all comes through living off sandwiches and spending all my dosh on bass! I think I'm an addict :huh:[/quote]
Nah, i'm the same!

I'm chipping in with my laughable collection, for the hell of it.

1. Encore p bass. Bought it from Argos because it was the cheapest we could find, and I wouldn't wait for one to be delivered lol. Cost £150 as a starter pack with the amp etc. Still got it, simply because no-one will buy it off me. Its for sale if your interested BTW lol. (2006-08)

2. Fender MIM Jazz. Got it second hand off my school music teacher for £250 including a hard case. Recorded a second demo with my band (my first, because the bands first was before I had joined), played my first gig with it. I've broken the nut on it so that was replaced with a graphite one from Allparts sharpish, Probably spent over £100 on strings for it, seeing as i went from Rotosounds to Flats to see what they were like, then back to Rotosounds for another 3/4 packs of strings. Thinking about doing a complete refinish next summer, Matte black anyone?
Zach

f*** it il go, iv been playing for nearly 2.5 years...

[b]Fender Squier standard series 2006[/b]: bought brand new from a guitar shop in manchester. Didn't have a clue what i was looking for really, but i thought it was pretty so i bought it. Lasted me 2 months before i realised that it wasn't what i wanted. Sold it on ebay.

[b]Musicman SUB IV[/b]: bought this second hand off ebay. I adored it, it blew the squier out the water and it was so more suited to me. I learnt to play bass "properly" on this bass, and i did love it. This one lasted me about a year and a half i think. Sold it on basschat.

[b]Peavey Grind 6[/b]: decided to go crazy and try a 6 string, bought this off ebay. A lovely instrument, nicely balanced and a pretty playable neck, although i did realise with this bass that unfinished necks wern't for me. However i ended up playin this bass more than the SUB at the time because it worked better with effects which i was obsessed with back then. This one lasted me about a year, don't regret selling though. Sold it on basschat.

[b]Fender precision special w/aguilar preamp/emg's[/b]: Yup the contraversial p bass. First bass i bought off basschat. I always preffered the look of the bass to the sound. Nice bass, had a great punch to the sound, but i kinda went off the emg's. Lasted me about 5 months, sold on ebay.

[b]Westfield Jazz:[/b] Bought this off basschat to modify. Modded it with jap fender pups, a high mass bridge, some nice jazz style knobs and a beautiful neck off ebay. Really quite liked this bass, in fact the way it sounded was a key feature in me selling the fender, however i realised with this i just wasnt comfortable with jazz pickups. owned about 2 months. Sold on basschat.

[b]Hudson PBS 6 string[/b]: Loved this bass. The only one i regret selling. Brilliant 6 string, neck dived but was very light and very nice to play. Sounded superb. Really do quite miss it, but i sold it to fund my favourite bass iv ever owned, so i guess thats a good enough cause. Owned for about 4 months Sold on basschat.

[b]OLP stingray V[/b]: my first 5 string, owned very briefly for about a month. Wasnt a bad bass, but i didnt dig the sound, very cheap imitation of my old SUB. Sold on basschat.

[b]OLP stingray V w/Status neck[/b]: i bought this purely to modify my stingray V with the neck. It played nice as it was, but again the sound was very poor, and sounded horrible compared to my real stingray V. Took it apart straight away and modded my stingray. Had the OLP with the wooden stringray neck for a while but was never played so sold the body on ebay.

[b]Musicman Stingray V:[/b] The only bass i currently own. Love its little socks off. I liked it enough with the wooden neck, but once i got the graphite neck on, wow, made it the best bass iv ever played. No bass iv ever tried since has got close to matching how comfortable i am with this bass and its sound. Currently in financial trouble but thanks to parents lending me rent for january looks like il be able to afford to keep it after all :). i will never sell this bass unless i face being evicted.

bit much for 2.5 years? my bank agrees! :huh:

Edited by BassManKev

okay, about 3 years worth of basses...

[b]Encore P Bass[/b]
Sounded just like a P bass. Played like our washing line!
[b]
Cort Artisan C4LTD[/b]
Lovely wenge neck. Really playable, had my first forray into flatwound strings with this. Just got a bit bored (worst reason EVER)

[b]Squier VMJ[/b]
The nicest Fender ive ever played! Sounded just like a jazz should, played fantastically. Awful pickups though, they howled when not both where on full!

[b]Ibanez EDA905[/b]
My first venture into 5 strings. I think the neck was a bit dodgy though, played awfully! really thick tone though. lovely to listen too.

[b]Custom "Mule" workhorse[/b]
Made my Rob Parnham in nottingham. Played and looked like something else, but just sounded a bit lifeless. Shame as it was the perfect bass for me.

[b]Yamaha BB605[/b]
Really useful semi parametric EQ and it just oozed full bodied tone. but the electronics where really noisy. Shame that.

[b]Lakland 55-01 DLX[/b]
This probably would have lasted a lot longer if it didnt weigh the same as me! One of those fantastically balanced tones, zing and thickness. I want another 55-01 now in fact!

[b]Musicman Bongo 5 HS[/b]
Dream bass. Unitll i got it in the band :) I just couldnt get the balance in tone i wanted between nazal MM tone and hollow Jazzneck Pup tone. Real shame, played so nicely.

[b]Bacchus Jazz 5 w/J retro[/b]
Best bass i ever had. Full stop. Tone, playability, looks! Sold due to lack of money. Really regret that one.
[b]
G&L L2500 Tribute.[/b]
F'kin horrible. One usable tone out of the plethora of knobs and switches, really didnt get on with the playability.

and now?

[b]Yamaha TRB1006[/b]
My first 6 string, Very solid instrument and a great introduction to sixers. I think ill be moving it on for a five string soon but thats no reflection on the bass at all. I love playing it on my own but it gets a bit hard work on long gigs when im using the 6th string maybe once a set.

So yeah, What do i win? :huh:

(dont get me started on amps...!)

What I've bought since I started playing in 2003:
[b]1[/b] Yamaha RBX170. Great little bass til it broke and I used it PX for the Thunderbird.
[b]2[/b] Cort GB25. Beasty tone, just had no use for the spare string. Sold about a year ago.
[b]3[/b] Epiphone Thunderbird. Looked cool but was a bastard to set up properly. Sold to fund Pedulla.
[b]4[/b] Pedulla Rapture. Bought in 2005/06. Still got it :)
[b]5[/b] Hondo II P-bass. Restored to its former mediocre glory and sold on after a few months.
[b]6[/b] Squier Vintage Modified Jazz. Very very nice for the money - added Bartolini bridge pickup and series parallel wiring. Sold on BC earlier this year.
[b]7[/b] Precision bass. Built myself earlier this year. Wizard Thumper pickup, 0.1uF tone circuit (orange drop). Still got it.
[b]8[/b] Yamaha RBX250 fretless. Fretless is definitely not my thing! Sold.

Bored, waiting for dinner to be served, so here goes.
Bear in mind I'm a lefty like Josh, so finding basses 20 odd years ago was tricky, first up, Ibanez Blazer, natural with black s/p, didn't know if it was good or not, Hohner B2A, absolute sh*te, Westone Thunder 1A, tiny bass and I don't know what all the fuss is about in owning one now, Jaydee Mark King, looked amazing, played like a dog, dead spots all over the neck and hissed like a cobra, KGB Status Series II Replica, this was and is, after getting it back 2 years ago, the best playing bass I have ever owned PERIOD, Gibson Thunderbird, 1976, what a f***ing monster, amazing tone and dead playable (I played it upside down, so it balanced perfectly).

Break of a few years, then a 1995 Squier Precision, what a great bass, brilliant construction but I put EMG's into it and it is now strung with flats and is a total funk machine, Japanese Fender Jazz, another amazing bass (EMG's, J Retro, Badass) and last but by no means least, my ACG Recurve Singlecut 6 string, I must have been tripping when I ordered this, I wanted a 4, then 5 string but I thought I know, lets make it a 6 string. I hated it for the first few months, then it all fell into place and I now absolutely love it.
I still own these last 4 and won't part with them as they give me pleasure and are great for everything I need.

Edited by steve-soar

For me since 2002:

[list=1]
[*][b]Squier Bronco[/b] - Fiesta red, first ever bass, got it cheap and didn't know any better ! Sold.
[*][b]Stagg BC305[/b] - Sunburst, first 5 string, in hindsight it was a dog. Sold.
[*][b]Stagg MB300[/b] - Black, Stingray copy, not too bad but passive. Sold.
[*][b]Yamaha RBX775[/b] - Flat blue metallic, 21st birthday present from parents, still got it and have defretted it, sounds fantastic.
[*][b]Vintage V940FL[/b] - Bubinga PJ fretless, great bass but terrible electronics. Sold.
[*][b]Spector Q6 Pro[/b] - Holoflash black, from SoundControl for £330, sold it a year later for £300 after I couldn't get on with the high C and also it didn't sound as good as the RBX. Sold.
[*][b]Yamaha BB614[/b] - Natural, bought by my Dad from PMT for £250, swapped it later for the Jazz.
[*][b]Ibanez Musician MC900[/b] (1980) - Bought from PMT for £250 (again !), cleaned and later swapped for the Stingray, nice profit there !
[*][b]Fender Jazz[/b] (2000) - Sunburst, swapped BB614 for this, setup wasn't great but have since put Nordstrand pickups and D-Tuner on it, had an issue with stripped truss rod nut but have since managed to fix that. Sounds wicked now.
[*][b]Musicman Stingray [/b](1996) - Everything a Stingray should be, natural body + maple neck, yum ! Sold.
[*][b]Lakland Skyline 55-02[/b] (2005) - Natural, swapped for Stingray as I wanted a fretted 5 string again, probably the best of the lot. Does every sound I want and a fantastic neck.
[*][b]Hohner Arbor Precision[/b] 1985ish - Bought by my Dad from a pawn shop for £40, since rewired and setup - sounds fantastic ! He's got it at the moment but said he'll get bored of it soon as it's mine (he plays guitar). Weighs a tonne and the neck is HUGE, but it's solid as a rock.
[/list]

[quote name='steve-soar' post='351316' date='Dec 10 2008, 10:23 PM']Bored, waiting for dinner to be served, so here goes.
Bear in mind I'm a lefty like Josh, so finding basses 20 odd years ago was tricky, first up, Ibanez Blazer, natural with black s/p, didn't know if it was good or not, Hohner B2A, absolute sh*te, Westone Thunder 1A, tiny bass and I don't know what all the fuss is about in owning one now, Jaydee Mark King, looked amazing, played like a dog, dead spots all over the neck and hissed like a cobra, KGB Status Series II Replica, this was and is, after getting it back 2 years ago, the best playing bass I have ever owned PERIOD, Gibson Thunderbird, 1976, what a f***ing monster, amazing tone and dead playable (I played it upside down, so it balanced perfectly).

Break of a few years, then a 1995 Squier Precision, what a great bass, brilliant construction but I put EMG's into it and it is now strung with flats and is a total funk machine, Japanese Fender Jazz, another amazing bass (EMG's, J Retro, Badass) and last but by no means least, my ACG Recurve Singlecut 6 string, I must have been tripping when I ordered this, I wanted a 4, then 5 string but I thought I know, lets make it a 6 string. I hated it for the first few months, then it all fell into place and I now absolutely love it.
I still own these last 4 and won't part with them as they give me pleasure and are great for everything I need.[/quote]

Lefty love! :)