Why become a member? ×

NBD Shuker Fretless 5-string

EliasMooseblaster

Yesterday, I met Bassy (Nick) in a pub near Tower Bridge, and surreptitiously slid an envelope of money under the table in exchange for the beautiful Shuker he had up for sale.

Can you tell what it is yet?

This is new territory for me. Not just owning a Shuker; this is my first five-string. I've been through several fretless basses, I've owned an active bass previously, but this is the first time I've owned one with a B-string.

body.thumb.jpg.281929004510f37b78a0e4bd5461f5fe.jpg

Isn't she lovely?

fingerboard.thumb.jpg.e46ea0e359f456938af8ac6b03bdf047.jpg

Macassar Ebony, apparently. I've really only included this picture to get the luthiers in a lather.

head.thumb.jpg.adaf88ab529ad25b1b52907c0ebeeaf3.jpg

Head nicely bookmatched to the body, and what appears to be a brass nut. Your starter for ten: whose strings are these? The silk at the bridge ends is all blue, but at the top I have lilac (B), red (E), blue (A), black (D), green (G). They're rounds, and feel like a fairly standard gauge.

controls.jpg.8c8d2b5821d6325c547b5884bb0bc0f6.jpg

Here's where the fun really begins. The onboard EQ is quite gentle, but offers a lot of very agreeable variation, especially with the sweepable mid in that stacked knob. Combined with the coil tap and blend, I could be playing around with these controls for days...

The sound is quite glorious. I fancied something a bit more modern than my usual, and I certainly got that! I'm not sure whether it's the strings, the Wizard humbuckers, or that brass nut, but there's a wonderfully piano-like quality to some of the notes. I'm surprised how quickly I've got used to the wider fretboard, but I suspect the slender neck profile helps with that. (Now I just need to get out of the trap of going for the low F and accidentally hitting a bottom C...)

At some point, if you're really unlucky, I'll get round to making a demo video, so you can hear it in actionUPDATE: scroll down for not one, but TWO demo videos. Until then, is a NBD thread really a NBD thread if you don't include a hokey picture of yourself playing the thing?

mooseblasting.jpg.d55c4b8f3b60eabdd522de24a0688159.jpg

Edited by EliasMooseblaster
  • Like 7

Thank you all very much, gentlemen, I remain delighted with my purchase.

I've finally given it its ultimate test by using it in a band setting - not one of my usual outfits, admittedly, but it was nice to hear it in some context. Pleased to report that it sits in the mix just nicely.

I have, however, fallen into exactly the trap I feared: the temptation to keep tweaking my sound. I'm sure, as the novelty wears off, I'll regain the discipline to choose one or two settings and just stick to those for the duration of a rehearsal/set, but with so many options I can't help experimenting at the moment!

On the one hand, it's reminded me why I stuck to Precisions for so many years...on the other, it's hard to settle on one sound when so many of them are good and potentially usable.