Why become a member? ×

Which Class D Amp

Slappinshambo

Hi guy's, Im looking at upgrading my rig and I am looking for something light compact and dynamic as I play mostly covers.
What are your thoughts on A) Aguilar Th500 B)Trickfish Bullhead .5k or C) Eich bass heads.
Portability is key and a good all rounder? Im also looking at a good compact cab to pair with it "2x12"??

Looking forward to hearing your input and experiences.

Edited by Slappinshambo

My advice would be to go to see some local bands, and when you hear a bass set-up you really like the sound of, look into that make. There are so many different factors and in all honesty pretty much any modern lightweight amp will be plenty good enough for a covers band doing a variety of different styles. 

However you mention upgrade, what`s the current brand/set-up you`re using, what do you like and dislike about it (sound-wise) that is probably a good place to start.

• Thanks 1

Normally I would agree with Lozz's recommendation.

However, if we learned nothing from the recent SE Bash we learned that nobody can tell the difference (even Bassists) in the gear but probably can the player.

So, in effect, I will always sound terrible whatever I play through whereas Marcus Miller will sound great even if he was playing through a pile of dog poo. 

Wait for Silvia's videos to see/hear what I'm talking about.

• Thanks 1

I opened a very similar thread to this a few weeks ago in the Gear forum....

The Genzler Magellan 800 was by far the top recommendation from fellow BCers.    I couldn't try one locally so I ended up going for a Markbass Little Mark Tube which I'm very pleased with - it was significantly cheaper than the Genzler which is a big deciding factor as I also needed some budget for a cab.

• Thanks 1

In the best basschat tradition I'll recommend one of the amps I own - the Quilter Bass Block 800.

It costs about 60% of the Genzler Magellan, (£465 from Thomann) it's smaller and lighter and made with top quality components.  It .sounds very solid and LOUD and the EQ, whilst appearing limited, is more useful than I first thought.  I rarely use EQ on any amp anyway, just cutting bass occasionally.

But really, it's hard to buy a bad amp these days.  I just find the BB800 is cheap and simple and does everything I need and more.

Frank.

Well currently I play a lot of corporate/weddings and rooms can vary from 150 to 500 max, For this i use a sansamp di to the p.a and lm2 with double ported 2x10 mb cab which is great but somehow i never really warmed to it.

I have a 2001 rb and rbh 8 ohm for bigger gigs and have to say it never let me down, on the other hand it was very hard to pick up.

Im really just treating myself here and looking for the best compact stack i can safely buy on recommendation as unfortunately in Ireland its hard to test these amps.

Im going to look into the genzler, I have also been on to schroeder about building a compct 2x12 cab. any thought on what cabs the magellan or aguilars like??

Edited by Slappinshambo

1 hour ago, Slappinshambo said:

Im really just treating myself here and looking for the best compact stack i can safely buy on recommendation as unfortunately in Ireland its hard to test these amps.

I

Hey Slappinshambo.  Whereabouts are you in Ireland.  I'm in Belfast and you're welcome to try any of my gear if you're close?

Frank.

• Like 1