Why become a member? ×

Nordstrand putting out a Goya Panther II inspired bass

Sibob

For those fans of Mr Alderete & Mr Gwizdala who particularly like the look of their old Goya Panther II basses, looks like Carey Nordstrand is currently prototyping a similar build. Unclear at this point if it's a one-off, although another Insta post asking about the bridge suggests that it will be commercial available:

832198208_ScreenShot2018-10-04at10_45_23.png.1f0a4c567d9706cb705b635507999b5e.png

1195589345_ScreenShot2018-10-04at10_45_48.png.59a581be405649f13715a46fffb6ad8b.png

Si

These are absolutely going into production, Carey's already got a far east manufacturer set up to get it cranked out once he's ironed out all the kinks.
He's also aiming for a low price point, sub $1000 in the US, how that will translate here in the UK is another matter, but still very cool to see a new contender coming on to the market at a reasonably competitive price.

Eude

24 minutes ago, eude said:

These are absolutely going into production, Carey's already got a far east manufacturer set up to get it cranked out once he's ironed out all the kinks.
He's also aiming for a low price point, sub $1000 in the US, how that will translate here in the UK is another matter, but still very cool to see a new contender coming on to the market at a reasonably competitive price.

Eude

Ah cool, thanks for the extra detail. I only spotted them last night on Carey's Instagram :)

Si

3 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Ah cool, thanks for the extra detail. I only spotted them last night on Carey's Instagram :)

Si

No bother, I've been following it for a while since he posted up the crazy headstock design for feedback, which, with the internet being the internet opened a portal to another dimension populated exclusively by bass trolls. Anyway, he stuck to his guns, tweaked it a little and pressed ahead, which I really admire and the finished design looks awesome!

Eude

I think the switch positions are going to be moved around for the final version, as they kinda get in the way a bit apparently.
The original Goya that this draws inspiration from had a gap above the neck pickup, what half the switches moved between that and the bridge pickup. I guess sometimes folks get it right first time, but the rest of the tweaks and rethinking seem to hit the mark.

Eude

EDIT: It's a good job I just got a new shortscale bass!

Edited by eude

I have been following this for a while too, since the initial sketches and outline showed up. Looks cool and like others have said, will be available and I seem to remember Carey saying they would be under his Rocket Surgeon brand and not Nordstrand or Nordy. I also spotted a tasty bass preamp prototype on his Instagram too.

Another cool short scale I want along with a mustang and supro.

• 3 weeks later...