Why become a member? ×

Aria Bass information

MattoPlenty

Hello, I have been left a bass and I'm trying to find some more information about it. It's an Aria ProII RSB Series - Smooth Joint. It's not in the greatest condition, few scratches and dinks but it does have the original Aria Pro bass hard case for it. Doing some internet based research leads me to a page "Matsumoku" but I can't seem to locate the exact model. I think it's a RSB Deluxe II but these seem to have the name "Deluxe II on the head stock. Mine just says "Aria ProII RSB Series" and then Smooth joint underneath. They are from the 1980's but they appear to be Red, Black or Blue, although I suppose mine could have been sanded back. There is no Serial number and the Scratch plate just has Made in Japan on it. It's exactly the same as this picture I can find on the internet.

Any ideas? Am assuming mine is from the 1980's but I can't confirm it.

Thanks for any help

Matt

Bass Aria.jpg

• 2 years later...

Had that since new, got it in 1984. Still in decent nick despite being my main gigging bass for 20+ years - unfortunately the neck twisted really badly, to the point of near-unplayability. Currently has an RSB Straycat neck as a replacement - not exactly the same or a perfect fit , it's a later model, possibly from after production moved to Korea. Hope I can find a proper RSB Deluxe neck one day, but it probably won't have that lovely blue/black burst!

16 hours ago, fleabag said:

I might have to join that, as i have a Pro SB 900 that i'm planning to sell at some point

Ooooooh, so wish there was any way I could justify taking it off your hands. Always had a little hankering for an SB900! Loved Neil Murray's back in the day when I was starting out on my SB700.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Skybone said:

I had the SB Special II (twice), which was the same bass, but with 2 of the "P" pole humbucker (instead of the J pickup at the bridge).

Always had a bit of GAS for one of those. Never had a P/P bass in fact, but always had a sneaking suspicion it might turn out to be the answer to a question I've never actually asked.

Nice and punchy sound to them, always liked the concentric pots.

That Deluxe is a beauty, always fancied one of those as well.

Stupidly part-exed my first Special for an Encore Strat. Always regretted it. Found another on eBay about 2005, unfortunately it didn't live up to my memory of them. Both were 1984 models.