Why become a member? ×

Sitting in - any advice?

Ray

My band are doing a support gig in January and I was thinking of asking if I could sit in on a couple of numbers with the headline band. Thing is, these guys are legends and it will be nerve wracking enough just talking to them let alone asking if I can play with them!

They have no bassist as it's an organ trio.

I'd be grateful for any advice on the best way to go about it.

Cheers,
Ray

[quote name='Ray' post='339810' date='Nov 28 2008, 04:28 PM']My band are doing a support gig in January and I was thinking of asking if I could sit in on a couple of numbers with the headline band. Thing is, these guys are legends and it will be nerve wracking enough just talking to them let alone asking if I can play with them!

They have no bassist as it's an organ trio.

I'd be grateful for any advice on the best way to go about it.

Cheers,
Ray[/quote]
You should wait to be invited really, which, tbh you are unlikely to be.
Sorry.

[quote name='Ray' post='339810' date='Nov 28 2008, 04:28 PM']I'd be grateful for any advice on the best way to go about it.[/quote]

Just stand in the wings and enjoy the show... let them know your enjoying it...

to sit in would require you leaving your rig set up... and you're supposed to have removed it before they start anyway...

It's most unlikely you'll be invited. So, do you play regularly in a band that plays the same sort of stuff and are you super-competent? Is the venue an 'intimate' and informal one? Have you sat in with bands before, sometimes at no notice? Do you know the guys in the trio - do they know you? Do you know their repertoire?
If the answer is 'yes' to all these (or most) then if you're brave you may consider contacting the main man a week in advance and asking.

We have a seven piece Chicago jazz band and would not generally permit a sit in, unless of course it's one of the 'greats' in which case we often ask them if they'd do us the honour of sitting in with us! Often if we're at a jazz festival the organisers might arrange in advance for a young musician to do a few tunes with us. There's a great young trumpet player who we found this way called Jamie Brownfield . Look out for him.

I remember when I was in my teens and I went into a local club and there was a pickup band with Dill Jones on piano and Ronnie Ross on sax - probably means nothing to anyone except Bilbo - and was invited to sit in for two numbers. I didn't come back down to earth for several days and there wasn't anyone in the school, village, town, universe who I didn't tell about it.

So to sit in can be inspiring - if you don't f**k up!

[quote name='bassace' post='340074' date='Nov 28 2008, 09:20 PM']Ronnie Ross on sax - probably means nothing to anyone except Bilbo[/quote]

What Ronnie Ross who played the fabo Baritone solo at the end of "Walk On The Wild Side?"
Nah, never heard of him

:)

Meanwhile On Topic

We have a general policy that if somene asks us nicely they can get up with us and play one number ...
I have even handed my bass (and band) over to strangers and gone off to dance with their wife, on occasion :huh:

However, for your own face saving reasons, you do have to be good enough to do it and have enough stage experince to manage the giging "workplace".
By that I mean that jumping up with an established band is totally different to playing on stage with your own band. The dynamics are different, the cuing between a bunch of experienced players is subtle and well established and you can end up falling flat on your bum, rather than looking cool ...

We always ensure the stepper up has the maximum support we can give them but some have ended up looking a bit daft.

Oh and that trio probably has no bass player for a reason - like the organist does it with his feet or left hand, so there may be no sonic "room" anyway..
And you may find you get thrown a solo on a tune you don't know ,,

That brings back memories of being a confident but inexperienced sax player (but long experienced gigging musician) and getting up with a band. First number was a blues, no problem, second number was a "standard" I'd never heard of in a key I'd never heard of and with a very strange arrangement.

I looked cool for the first one and a total wally for the second ..

[quote name='dlloyd' post='340196' date='Nov 29 2008, 12:50 AM']Or a drink/smoke, etc.[/quote]

Aye. I normally prefer having a chat to heroes of mine and getting inspired that way. I'd feel a bit rude asking to sit in. My old bass mentor used to enjoy calling me out from the audience and dropping me in it though. Sometimes you just crash and burn.

[quote name='Mike' post='339922' date='Nov 28 2008, 05:42 PM']Sam Yahel trio.......?[/quote]
[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NvZlTKIEW6Q"]Godfathers Of Groove[/url]

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='339934' date='Nov 28 2008, 05:56 PM']to sit in would require you leaving your rig set up... and you're supposed to have removed it before they start anyway...[/quote]
I'll be using the house rig which is left on stage so that wouldn't be an issue.

[quote name='bassace' post='340074' date='Nov 28 2008, 09:20 PM']It's most unlikely you'll be invited. So, do you play regularly in a band that plays the same sort of stuff and are you super-competent? Is the venue an 'intimate' and informal one? Have you sat in with bands before, sometimes at no notice? Do you know the guys in the trio - do they know you? Do you know their repertoire?
If the answer is 'yes' to all these (or most) then if you're brave you may consider contacting the main man a week in advance and asking.[/quote]
We play the same sort of stuff - funk & soul jazz. Super-competent? Competent, I'd say. It's at the Jazz Cafe in Camden so quite a prestigious venue. I have met the guys in the band before. We opened for them at the Jazz Cafe earlier this year and had the pleasure of having dinner with the drummer before the show. They're really really easy going, friendly guys which makes me think it wouldn't be a problem if someone asked to sit in with them. They had a sax player sit in last time they played.

[quote name='OldGit' post='340094' date='Nov 28 2008, 09:59 PM']Oh and that trio probably has no bass player for a reason - like the organist does it with his feet or left hand, so there may be no sonic "room" anyway..[/quote]
They do play with a bass player sometimes.

[quote name='The Funk' post='340182' date='Nov 29 2008, 12:28 AM']Don't ask to sit in. Invite them to an after hours jam instead. Don't forget to pick their brains as much as possible without being a knob.[/quote]
This is probably what I'll do.

Thanks for the response everyone. Much appreciated.

Ray

[quote name='Ray' post='340312' date='Nov 29 2008, 10:01 AM']We opened for them at the Jazz Cafe earlier this year and had the pleasure of having dinner with the drummer before the show.[/quote]

:)

Bernard Purdie is my favourite drummer of all time! You lucky bastard. Well done!

Guestlist me up, dude!

[quote name='The Funk' post='340430' date='Nov 29 2008, 01:08 PM']:)

Bernard Purdie is my favourite drummer of all time! You lucky bastard. Well done!

Guestlist me up, dude![/quote]
We usually get a guestlist of some kind when we play the JC. Normally half price entry or sometimes free entry if ticket sales are slow. We don't normally find out until 1-2 weeks before though. I'll let you know...

[quote name='jakesbass' post='340320' date='Nov 29 2008, 10:10 AM']On that video link you posted is none other than Bernard Purdie and I think Jerry Jemmott.[/quote]
Yep! Shame Jerry isn't playing with them in January.

[quote name='Ray' post='340312' date='Nov 29 2008, 10:01 AM'][url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NvZlTKIEW6Q"]Godfathers Of Groove[/url][/quote]

I bought their CD only this morning! Absolutely knockout.

And on sitting in ... I'd wait to be asked ... but then I'm probably not good enough to play with those guys anyway.

Edited by EssentialTension