Why become a member? ×

Love it, hate it, fuelling GAS

Guest MoJo

For anyone else not fortunate enough to have the consistency of in-ear-monitoring, do they find that they can come home from a gig, having spent an evening in aural heaven, convinced that they've found their perfect bass / rig setup, only to find, the following week, with the same bass, same rig, same settings, that they can't find 'that' sound again and start trawling through the classified ads, looking for something else? I've lost count of the number of times that I've said to my wife, "That's it! That's all I need to do any gig". Everytime, she responds with the same, 'We'll see' smile. I know that a lot of it is down to the acoustics of the room we're playing in and a lot of it is psychological, probably sounds great out front, but I can't get past it and don't know what the answer is

I learned long ago that a room will change the sound of my amp and how I perceive it dramatically, so there is no amp, in my opinion, that will give me a consistent sound.

As such I realised that expensive amps and cabs were a waste of time (I always DI to front of house) and as long as my amp works, I can hear it on stage and it sounds good out front, it doesn’t matter.

I don’t know how I got over caring what my onstage sound was like, but it’s liberating when you start to realise it’s only you that really cares and as long as your band sounds good as a whole it’s all that matters.

• Like 3

GAS doesn't go away when you get IEMs..  Listen, and understand. That terminal GAS is out there. It can’t be bargained with. It can’t be reasoned with. It doesn’t feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.... broke.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I used to plug in my bass, preamp pedal and combo, all on a set and forget basis (I even taped down the switches on the pedal)... I'd hand the sound guy the sharp end of a DI cable, pre eq. I'd have Mrs Trueno or another trusted person at the back of the room... can you hear the bass in the mix and does it sound ok? Job done.

I think there are more variables hanging around in the back ground that regularly  hang out with GAS and wait for moments of weakness. 

Some contenders are: State of mind. Room temperature. The neck on the bass might move ever so fractionally but enough to just change your touch. Your body temperature and  how warmed up your hands are. Sound levels and even a change of tone or volume from band mates.  Some days you are more  receptive to it. And as you already know some rooms just suck the joy out of it. 

Yes I also get GAS at times like these. Be strong. Hang in there.

3 hours ago, MoJo said:

. . . . come home from a gig, having spent an evening in aural heaven, . . . .

I have GAS for gigs but not so much for gear. My idea of "aural heaven" is playing with a great drummer.

In the last 10 years I've used Thunderfunk and Aguilar amps and Berg cabs, followed by Aguilar amps and Barefaced cabs. I don't touch the EQ after the first couple of gigs and I don't recall any of those rigs having a bad night.

My aim is to get to the point where the default sound is good and then the gear takes care of itself. I'll adjust the level with the band, but that's it, forget the back line and just play. 

When I'm struggling with GAS, I refer back to some wisdom I learnt from this very forum:

Life is full of risks and possibilities and you may buy something which is less than perfect - get the best advise you can but let's face it you don't want to be on your death bed saying to your nearest and dearest - "well at least I didn't waste any money on a crap bass".

Quoted from user PhilSpectone https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/9103-double-bass-buying-guide/?do=findComment&comment=332186