Why become a member? ×

Lost a great venue at the weekend

Angelus

O2 ABC was almost completely destroyed due to a fire in the building next door. Saw Black Star Riders there about 14 months ago and I was due to see Uria Heep there in December, also saw The Tubes in the art school before the last fire in 2015. Major loss to all concerned for both buildings and hope both can be re-built or salvaged in some way. How many other great venues have we lost over the years?

The O2 Abc was a great venue.  Saw a few bands there over the years.  Can't see it getting rebuilt somehow which is a great shame but never say never.  La belle angel was rebuilt in Edinburgh after burning down but has lost its character. 

Edinburgh is shocking for losing music venues... Mainly due to property development or new neighbours complaining about noise (so don't move next door to something you don't like! ... That's another debate) 

The Venue was a great place to see bands, the original Labelle Angel, Cas Rock Cafe, the Picture House, to name but a few. 

I was playing in the first floor room there a few weeks back for the Stag and Dagger festival. Good venue and great team dealing with us. Massive shame about the Art School - I was hoping to get a look at it but we were soundchecking all afternoon and I couldn't be bothered with the trek up the hill in the heat.

19 minutes ago, gs_triumph said:

The O2 Abc was a great venue.  Saw a few bands there over the years.  Can't see it getting rebuilt somehow which is a great shame but never say never.  La belle angel was rebuilt in Edinburgh after burning down but has lost its character. 

Edinburgh is shocking for losing music venues... Mainly due to property development or new neighbours complaining about noise (so don't move next door to something you don't like! ... That's another debate) 

The Venue was a great place to see bands, the original Labelle Angel, Cas Rock Cafe, the Picture House, to name but a few. 

Ah The Venue, about the same size as an aircraft seat but my favourite place of all time. During the 90's I must have seen every metal band there was play there, was a wonderful time.