Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SRFF805

CobiaMatt

Absolutely love this bass, Looks great, Sounds ace, Very comfortable.

As of recent I have tried a non-fanned fret Ibanez 5 and a Musicman Stingray 5 

I really find a non-fanned fret bass more comfortable so thinking of swapping it for another Ibanez 5 but the value of these SRFF805 secondhand is terrible!

IMG_0531.JPG

IMG_0533.JPG

All Soundgears have rubbish resale value. Probably because they're so ubiquitious. The only ones that seem to have any aftermarket value are the vintage ones. Even the current Prestige ones, I see them selling for about 50% of their original cost, and those are very high spec kit. Great for the buyer obviously!

Interesting how you say you don't find it comfortable, I briefly owned the newer version of this (with the burled maple top) and it was effortless, just played itself. The tone left a little to be desired, but that's probably on me, being more of a Jazz guy now than the Ibanez fanatic I was for a few years.

I had the 5 string like that and loved it, but wasn't as keen on the pickups compared to the premiums and it was too expensive to get the nordys put in as they were custom jobs as they are so long. Otherwise I would have still had it.

But yes, one of the problems of ibanezes is that the resale is poor as they are common.

10 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I had the 5 string like that and loved it, but wasn't as keen on the pickups compared to the premiums and it was too expensive to get the nordys put in as they were custom jobs as they are so long. Otherwise I would have still had it.

But yes, one of the problems of ibanezes is that the resale is poor as they are common.

+1 for preferring the big single Nords on the SR Premium range (which are just great!). 

Resale price is obviously a double edged sword: if you're able to pick up a mint Ibby SR second hand you're going to get a lot of bass for the money. 

Fenders are even more common, but don't seem to suffer quite the same level of depreciation? 

7 hours ago, Al Krow said:

+1 for preferring the big single Nords on the SR Premium range (which are just great!). 

Resale price is obviously a double edged sword: if you're able to pick up a mint Ibby SR second hand you're going to get a lot of bass for the money. 

It is true, that is why I have a 5005 prestige, no way I would get one at new price.

Fenders are even more common, but don't seem to suffer quite the same level of depreciation? 

I don't know, I thought they did.

A MiM standard bass in very good condition second hand is about half the new price, an american maybe just a bit above half and maybe custom shops just a bit above that.

The only ones that keep their prices for a while are 'custom' MIMs, such as the flea or the geddy lee, but even they go down quite a bit when the market has enough in them,  the Geddy lee generally hovers around £500 when the new price is just under £900, the flea at £950 is down to about £700 for the most part but it will go down more when there are more around.

I think it is the nature of new vs second hand. Nothing keeps that much value unless it is uncommon - and even there, how much are you going to lose selling a ritter you bought new?

Edited by Woodinblack

I don't think Ibanez know how to make a bad guitar. They are probably better built than a lot of premium brands and offer great value for money.

They need to take a note out of the Toyota how to manual. Toyota knew they made great cars, they also knew people didn't want to buy a luxury Toyota when they could have a Mercedes or Jaguar for the same money. Solution, make luxury cars, but brand them Lexus.

I think if Ibanez launched their premium range under a new name, they may well increase their kudos in the marketplace, increase sales and resale value.

• Like 1