Why become a member? ×

Aesthetic Universals, meet my poor taste! EnGuarde! Have at you!

Sneakyfish

*Sneakyfish: becomes self-aware. Congratulations! [10exp]*

*Sneakyfish: develops brain and wants to learn everything. challenge accepted.*

*Sneakyfish: flops hopefully into the Basschat pond amongst others. [30exp]*

Greetings to all from the primordial sludge of SW London!

I'm a lefty playing righty multi-instrumentalist, my main focus being the 'big three' (drums, bass and guitar). I've some rough keyboard technique (developing slowly, learning to like it) alongside primitive violin ability, also a bit of didgeridoo for fun but they're not really my bag.

I generally kick, scream, shout and make noise, but out of all of them, I play bass most often. :)

I've recently been thinking that Anaxagoras' theory of: "In everything, there is a share of everything", applies to music neatly. I love cross-training on instruments this way. I also feel that this applies more or less to stylistic considerations in music as well. Because I have definite preferences, I've never found a style I could objectively 'hate', dislike maybe but hate? No.

I've never had any formal training, I've been studying music in earnest for 10 years now, it's the best decision I've made in my life. I can now use my obsessive nature to pursue a high musical standard. And the work makes me genuinely happy every day as I see that week-on-week improvement of myself and others.

Was a bedroom hero for a while. Started playing live around Central London about 4 years in. Done live and some recording work as a drummer and bassist.

Hoping to have a great time being part of a bass culture hub like this one!

Current bass arsenal includes:

//Ravenwest 7-string extended range surfboard (long-term modding project). Main instrument.

//Cort C5h with flat-wounds, for chilling out with.

//A hilariously 'metal' Vintage VWR99 Metal Axxe, also my first bass.

On 21/05/2018 at 21:28, josie said:

Welcome! I've once seen a bass player really play a 7 well - and then there's this:

http://www.jsbach.net/bass/instruments.html

What sort of music do you play? Possibly not JSB :-)

:o He has some impressive Youtube videos! And admirable finger-style technique to boot. He's clearly sunk a lot of work into that. It's nice to hear harmony from a bass instrument! I do think his intonation is a little off, but he doesn't have super-long fingers which makes playing the melody and bass accurately difficult on such an instrument. Maybe he'd have a better time of it if he arranged for two-handed tapping or perhaps two basses? I don't think I'd personally commit so much Bach (or any single composer) to my repertoire. This guy seemingly made it his personal mission to become a Bach recitalist though, gotta love that dedication! I'd like to hear him tackle some Rachmaninoff (C#m Prelude maybe? :) ).

What do I play? I'm fairly eclectic. Mainly (but by no means exclusively) in the heavier sphere, influenced by the other spheres I encounter. So, progressive-metal and extreme-metal in general. Lot's of respect for all-fingers metal bassists who have consistent attack, without an insanely low action on the bass. Have a massive love for all things jazz/fusion. Have spent time as a dub bassist, still like to jam on mi sleng teng. Been getting back into playing funk recently, Parliament-Funkadelic, Tower of Power (love u Rocco!), that "Bootsy Collins Rule of the One" stuff. Synth sounds too. Love aggressive monophonic lead (with glide) and diffuse "voice of the gods" sounding pads too.

What about you? What sort of music do you play? :)

Edited by Sneakyfish

7 hours ago, Sneakyfish said:

What about you? What sort of music do you play?

Straight-up walking blues at the moment. I was in an indie-pop originals band for 6 months, and got away with some crazy basslines, switching between broody prog and dance-pop mid-song, two-octave jumps, lots of high stuff (on a 5 strung E-C).  Unfortunately the personalities didn't work out, and they completely self-destructed soon after I left. The current stuff is nowhere near as interesting musically, but we all so much enjoy playing together that it's worth it.

I'd love to play in a dub or prog band though. Or maybe even funk - not my favourite to listen to, but sounds like a lot of fun to play. And I'm increasingly tempted by the thought of a 6 (B-C) but need to get a lot better on my 5s first! :-)