Why become a member? ×

Spalted Maple Sandberg California VM5

6 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Would love something like that but sadly sandberg have got really wide string spacing that I can't cope with, so they are out out as a manufacturer for me, which is a shame as I think they do really nice stuff.

Sandberg bridges allow you to adjust the string spacing so it might be possible to squeeze the strings tighter together to find something that works for you? 

• Thanks 1

I have a feeling it's as much about the nut end for Woody, after talking to him at a Bass Bash. 

We are pretty much polar opposites regarding string spacing, which at least means we won't be chasing the same instruments! 

‘Tis true, the string spacing at the bridge can be adjusted between 18 - 19.5mm. The nut width on Sandberg’s 5 stringers tend to be 45mm. Not what I would call particularly wide. And my Electra VS4 has a “jazz-esque” neck which feels pretty damn narrow at the nut!

Edited by CameronJ

45mm is fine, adjustment is fine, let me adjust between 15 and 17 and it’s all good, 18 is uncomfortable, 19 I pretty well can’t get through a song at a gig without messing up, which is why I sold the Gibson, even though it sounded great

which is a shame as I am a sucker for spalted wood!

Edited by Woodinblack