Why become a member? ×

Dulling gloss help?

Its all personal taste, but I just don't like glossy finishes as I lean more towards vintage aesthetics. I'm looking to lessen the shinny finish of a black glossy p body - not make it satin or fully matte.

I don't want to go the 0000 steel wool or 2000 grit sanding route as both will leave fine marks and I'd like a perfect even finish. So I'm thinking of using some matte clear spray paint, and spray directly on top of the glossy finish, doing a few thin layers to get a consistent finish. Has anyone done this, and moreover, would this work - matte paint adhering to gloss?

You'll have to key the surface before you spray paint it. The best way to do it is with a grey scotchbrite pad which will leave the surface with a matt finish anyway. If you don't key the surface up like this the paint will flake off. The scotchbrite pad might give you the finish you're after without paint.

Don't go spraying anything. You cannot de-nib or polish satin lacquer as it will become glossy, so you will be stuck with an imperfect finish unless you really know what you're doing. 

What you need is '3M Prep and Blend'. It's used for prepping cars for paint and will leave you with a perfectly even, matte finish. But if used watered down and lightly it will just take the shine off to any level you require and you won't see any scratches. It's a bit like a cutting compound except that it will just matte the paint. 

Ebay and Amazon will sell it.