Why become a member? ×

cynic and opeth

Dread Bass

I was wanting to go last night but couldn't really afford it. Instead I stood outside like a muppet waiting for Darryl from Profane and bumped into a lot of people I know!

I did manage to see the set list that they played, which made me feel a little better. If they had played The Leper Affinity I think I would have gone home and topped myself.

Edited by Veils

I was actually supposed to be playing Chapman Stick with Cynic on this tour, however when their set got reduced to just 30 minutes the tracks I was to appear on got pretty much cut from the set. Still got to play the Dublin show but by the time we got to London it became apparent that they couldn't guarantee which, if any, other shows I'd get to play so I stepped down from the tour.

[quote]Wow it was pretty amazing both bass players were amazing. I love Sean Malone and the guy from opeth is immense.[/quote]

You realise it wasn't Malone you were seeing, but Robin Zielhorst?

[quote]DiGiorgio did most of the bass, but the little solo in Cosmic Sea was by Skott Carino.[/quote]

Nope, the solo was DiGiorgio too - Carino just did some overdubs at the beginning of the track:

"The credits in the cd booklet are misleading. I played the whole song, but shortly after I was done I had to leave for Europe to hook up with the Sadus dudes to tour with Morbid Angel. Anyway, while they were mixing they found some weird sound on the bass track and since I wasn't there to fix it and since Scott was there hanging out during an album he wished he could have recorded...they told him to grab his bass and redo like three notes in the very beginning. That's it man, a very small thing. The break in the middle after the cosmic storm is me, obviously, on the mighty Ric." - Steve DiGiorgio

I saw the tour in Glasgow- missed most of Cynic's set cos I had to work late :) but Opeth were phenomenal- that's the fourth time I've seen them and I think that was the best yet. Heavy!

Is there any chance Cynic will do a headline tour at some point? They seemed to go down very well and I would love to see them properly.

Kind of gutted I missed the London show, but now that I know Cynic didn't play for as long (and sans-Stick) I'm not so bothered. It would have been more to see Cynic - I saw them last summer and they were awesome. They had Chris Kringel playing with them then - he's an absolute monster on the bass.

Didn't Sean Malone play on the new album? Has he given up on touring?

Opeth are great on record, but the times I've seen them live, they've just been lacking something. Can't quite put my finger on it, but there's always been something flat and unexciting about their performances.

[quote name='Stickman' post='335845' date='Nov 24 2008, 09:37 PM']Nope, the solo was DiGiorgio too - Carino just did some overdubs at the beginning of the track:

"The credits in the cd booklet are misleading. I played the whole song, but shortly after I was done I had to leave for Europe to hook up with the Sadus dudes to tour with Morbid Angel. Anyway, while they were mixing they found some weird sound on the bass track and since I wasn't there to fix it and since Scott was there hanging out during an album he wished he could have recorded...they told him to grab his bass and redo like three notes in the very beginning. That's it man, a very small thing. The break in the middle after the cosmic storm is me, obviously, on the mighty Ric." - Steve DiGiorgio[/quote]

Fair enough, ta.

[quote name='Stickman' post='335845' date='Nov 24 2008, 09:37 PM']I was actually supposed to be playing Chapman Stick with Cynic on this tour, however when their set got reduced to just 30 minutes the tracks I was to appear on got pretty much cut from the set. Still got to play the Dublin show but by the time we got to London it became apparent that they couldn't guarantee which, if any, other shows I'd get to play so I stepped down from the tour.[/quote]
I saw you in Dublin, Stickman, great stuff, fair play to you! Shame the set list was so short, I'd gladly have sacrificed some of the tedium that Opeth surprisingly were for some more Cynic.

You realise it wasn't Malone you were seeing, but Robin Zielhorst?

I was concerned by the fact i thought Sean Malone had lost all his hair and that did make me wonder who it was. Well i tell you what Robin Zielhorst did a great job it sounded exactly like mr Malone. I was dissapointed by the lack of a stick player but it was still great. Why was the set cut short to 30 mins tho i thought the Ocean were good but i would have rather watched cynic for an hour and not have them.

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='335905' date='Nov 24 2008, 10:41 PM']I saw the tour in Glasgow- missed most of Cynic's set cos I had to work late :) but Opeth were phenomenal- that's the fourth time I've seen them and I think that was the best yet. Heavy!

Is there any chance Cynic will do a headline tour at some point? They seemed to go down very well and I would love to see them properly.[/quote]

I was at that gig too - probably my fifth or sixth Opeth show, they really were exceptional. Cynic were excellent - a band I somehow missed out on first time round, would love to see them again in their own right.

Jon.

[quote name='Stickman' post='337601' date='Nov 26 2008, 07:28 PM']Thanks Doctor J! I know that the promoter of that show is very keen to get Cynic back for their own show at some point so keep your fingers crossed.[/quote]
He's keen as mustard. I believe they're touring the US with Meshuggah early next year and he's been talking to their agent about some time after that. Don't make any plans for April or May :)