Why become a member? ×

Notation software

Brook_fan

Does anyone here use notation software? I’ve been a long term user of Sibelius, but due to their rediculous subscription model now, I’m looking at other packages, and preferably cheaper as well.  Anyone use “Notion”? Or guitarpro 7? Does the latter allow you to write for choirs as well as fretted instruments?

Robbie

I stopped using Sibelius after the subscription model business.

I started using Notion 6 on PC and Notion on the iPad. Great for swapping files between the two.

Notion is very easy to get to grips with and does most of the Sibelius commands. It comes with it's own sample library and the articulations respond well with the articulation markings.

So for playback you get a great idea of how things are going to sound.

There are TAB options, Drum & Percussion notation, just about anything to be honest. You can write your own custom rules and macros etc. There are a decent amount of score templates provided as well.

It also has a sequencer overlay, so in a way because of VST integration, it can work similar to a DAW as well (adjusting velocities & cc#'s to work with articulation and dynamic markings).

Another new kid on the block which is gaining in popularity is 'Overture by Sonic Scores'. It has a good crossgrade price and you can demo it as well.

My son has just started using this, and I must say, it is pretty impressive with the things you can do with it. 

https://sonicscores.com/overture/

https://sonicscores.com/

Dorico is great, but it is still lacking in some essentials. Each update is addressing this though.

Edited by lowdown

1 hour ago, Brook_fan said:

Thanks everyone.  I would have been interested in Dorito as well, but they still don’t do guitar TAB or drum notation 😢

AFAIK Melody / harmony assistant does all the tabs & stuff - it even does fingering for a diatonic accordion where you can specofiy your own keyboard layout.

Note that I've not tried any others, so am not recomending this one over the others - just pointing out as an option.