Why become a member? ×

DR Sunbeams....Maybe?

spongebob

I'm looking for a change of string direction, shake things up a bit.

First idea was to retreat to my old D'addario faves, but I started to look elsewhere.

The DR strings seem to be very well thought of....Sunbeams look good.....but one set is the price of two sets of my chosen D'addarios!

Are they really that much better than your average string? Worth twice as much?

Just curious before I potentially pull the trigger!

Decision made - I've not going with them.

Going to go with some Fender 7250M nickel plated. 

Bass is in for a set up on Wednesday, so needed the strings for then. It's an AV63 Precision, and that's what it originally came with. 

Tried some flats in the meantime, they just didn't really gel at last night's gig....swore by them for ages, but I think this is a rounds bass....so I think a set of nickel coated steels should fit the bill, and not give too much fret wear...but give an immense P bass growl!

If you don`t need really sharp highs then those 7250Ms should work fine, they give a real good Precision sound. I love them but they`re just not sharp enough for what I do in my band, but for the traditional Precision sound, well you can see why Fender ship their basses with them on, great sounding strings.

• Like 1

I fitted  a set of Fender strings to the last 5er I had and was pleasantly surprised considering that they're relatively cheap. 

I haven't been a big fan of DRs when I've used them - they always seemed bland or "character-less".

I agree with your choice..

Thanks guys, I did serious research on this today!

I've been a flats player for the last few years. But this bass....my return to Fender....just seemed far too dark and dull with the flats. My first Fender 'above' a US Standard, so new territory.

Just need more life in the bass, as the flats were too....err.....flat!

I just found myself falling out with my flats. For some reason, this bass just sounds lacking with them on. Tone down, too muddy. Tone up, too 'boxy' sounding. Playing with a pick exclusively.

I've used the same flats variant for a good few years...maybe it's just my tastes changing about what I want. I'm quite a busy player, and need more clarity in tone. Having used the D'addarios for years before the flats, I need to try new territory....and from what I've read, the Fenders are a little less harsh, with a rounder bottom end than the D'addarios.

On 4/15/2018 at 14:52, spongebob said:

I'm looking for a change of string direction, shake things up a bit.

First idea was to retreat to my old D'addario faves, but I started to look elsewhere.

The DR strings seem to be very well thought of....Sunbeams look good.....but one set is the price of two sets of my chosen D'addarios!

Are they really that much better than your average string? Worth twice as much?

Just curious before I potentially pull the trigger!

I do like them. Sunbeams or the stainless steel Fat Beams for me. I like their flexibility, they're easy to bend, and have sweet low mids... The Fat Beams are pretty bright to start with, but the Sunbeams lack that extra zing and they're perfect from day 1, for me. 

I used to use D'Addario EXL170s but I much prefer the Sunbeams.

On 4/15/2018 at 19:56, spongebob said:

Thanks guys, I did serious research on this today!

I've been a flats player for the last few years. But this bass....my return to Fender....just seemed far too dark and dull with the flats. My first Fender 'above' a US Standard, so new territory.

Just need more life in the bass, as the flats were too....err.....flat!

Have you considered Labella White Nylon tapewounds? They're not cheap... but they last forever (almost). They're unlike other tapewounds. They are pretty bright but balanced, and strong low mids and tight bottom end. It means they can be used for stuff you'd normally use roundwounds for and will sound good in the band. Very sweet slap tone too (just not the ultra bright Marcus Miller style tone). Of course, you can tame the top end, and then you get into 'old school territory', with strong low mids still, so lots of fat but with definition.

They're also very flexible... you can bend strings like crazy. You'll probably have to turn your truss rod a *tiny* little bit. My favourite string these days if I don't want straight up roundwounds. I always found flats very nice but a little limited... and tapewounds usually were not much better. The white nylons changed all that. Very versatile string.

On 20/04/2018 at 22:20, mcnach said:

I do like them. Sunbeams or the stainless steel Fat Beams for me. I like their flexibility, they're easy to bend, and have sweet low mids... The Fat Beams are pretty bright to start with, but the Sunbeams lack that extra zing and they're perfect from day 1, for me. 

I used to use D'Addario EXL170s but I much prefer the Sunbeams.

I used to use Sunbeams all the time too but when I tried Pure Blues... wow! Definitely a string that's halfway between Sunbeams and Fat Beams. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The59Sound said:

I used to use Sunbeams all the time too but when I tried Pure Blues... wow! Definitely a string that's halfway between Sunbeams and Fat Beams. 

good to know! I have heard other similarly promising comments about them...