Why become a member? ×

Chapman

Rayman

I'm after a 5er. My first port of call is either Ibanez SR, or Warwick... but I'm wondering about Chapman basses. I'm on the verge of buying an ML3 guitar... and now I'm wondering about a bass too, even a trip down to Andertons to try one.

Anybody got any experience with them? I know they're a new thing, but I thought I'd ask?

Oh the stick is out of my league... NO idea how that works!

But yeah, Rob Chapmans' stuff. It looks and sounds lovely, I just wondered how they played. Obviously it's a fairly young brand, and the basses in particular aren't tried and tested too much by the wider public, I'm just liking the vibe of the company, and it's something a bit different to the regular well known brands. 

5 hours ago, Yank said:

Thought you meant a Chapman stick.  How anyone can make heads or tails of that is beyond me.

Yeah they look mad, but then when you see someone with talent playing one, like Nick Beggs ...used to be in a brit brit band called Kajagoogoo  ( dont ask :) )

If chat bores you, he kicks in about 1 minute 20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmZxoxUNv4g

Then there's band he was in after the teeny band -  Ellis Beggs and Howard. The weird lead melody is Beggs on the Chapman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgrE6Q860CE

This is Beggs laying down Toneprints using the melody from the track above

Edited by fleabag

Gotta say that the music coming out of that Chapman playing was awful - all fourthy but not in a good quartal harmony way - more in a 'bang two string at the same position' way 'cause it's easy.

Plenty of vids on the Chapman basses and they introduced a natty looking fan-fret earlier this year at the Namm show - from about 3:45 onwards: 

Edited by visog

Robert Culbertson is a lovely ‘Stick’ player. I have not heard many original compositions from him, but his cover work is terrific.

He has the melody side nailed, where quite a few are just banging out rhythms and are light on melodic/harmonic content.

Nice phrasing too.