Why become a member? ×

Planet Rock..same old hat

The request shows are an indication of why the daytime shows tend to peddle the same old, same old a lot of the time. 4 hours or so for the listening public to request what it likes and yet these requests are even more predictable than the usual programming. Yes, they probably select requests of things they have readily available in their library but, for the most part, it’s the same weekend in, weekend out. I listen to PR most days and always like the ‘shortest show on the radio’ where Darren (a fellow BCer) and Wyatt do their grumpy old men schtick. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, steantval said:

This Bank Holiday Monday PR is playing throughout the day the top 75 guitar solo songs as voted by the listeners, looking forward to hearing them.

My guess for number one would probably be Comfortably Numb.

I recall them doing this a few years ago. And indeed, you're quite right if you'd picked the #1 spot back then. I doubt anything will have changed.  Be nice to hear some more unpredictable choices e.g. the solos in Another Girl Another Planet by The Only Ones, Just What I Needed by The Cars and Shot by Both Sides by Magazine. I nommed these but doesn't seem many others did. I've also entered submissions for the Rock Block, including the likes of Pixies, Killing Joke, House of Love, New Model Army, Echo ATB  and other post punk and US alt-rock bands. Seems PR doesn't wanna know.

Edited by Barking Spiders

2 hours ago, ezbass said:

The request shows are an indication of why the daytime shows tend to peddle the same old, same old a lot of the time. 4 hours or so for the listening public to request what it likes and yet these requests are even more predictable than the usual programming. Yes, they probably select requests of things they have readily available in their library but, for the most part, it’s the same weekend in, weekend out. I listen to PR most days and always like the ‘shortest show on the radio’ where Darren (a fellow BCer) and Wyatt do their grumpy old men schtick. 

I sometimes tune into Wyatt and Derren mainly because of the between song chat. Good presenters but the music selection is mostly meh

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

I sometimes tune into Wyatt and Derren mainly because of the between song chat. Good presenters but the music selection is mostly meh

I also really enjoy the Planet Rock Years (except when it’s ‘67 & ‘68), always fun to try and work out the year (I was a year out today 😤). Some of the Saturday & Sunday late evening programs are good fun.

2 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

One of my major claims to fame.......

Wyatt was the drummer in a band of mine when he was about 17 for a couple of years. He was really good. I think he's living his dream now with that radio job, he always wanted to be involved in the rock scene 😊 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

I'll often flick over to Alice Cooper if I'm listening at that time of night.

Back when I lived down south and was gigging, Alice was often my homeward bound companion. He’s a great DJ as is Joe Elliot, especially as Joe often plays very different things from the PR norm. I miss the Hairy Bikers, their Sunday show was essential listening, just for the chat alone.

• Like 2

Funnily enough I was listening to it for the first time in what must be easily four years on the way to work on Monday morning, I previously stopped listening because every day just sounded like they'd stuck in the same Dad's Rock cd. Luckily I didn't have to suffer any of the usual expectations, eg, Smoke On The Water, Paranoid, You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet, Freebird, Doctor Doctor, Foxy Lady, Black Night, Whole Lotta Love,  Radar Love, etc etc. But after what seemed like 10 minutes of ads, I did get the impression that not much had changed when Sylvia by Focus started up, and off went the radio. They should play more of bands deeper cuts, at prime time, instead of the aforementioned dross, after all it's meant to be for rock fans, I can't imagine many who tune in would be lost as to what they'd be hearing or even object to it! All of the bands I've alluded to have far better content than their overplayed hits.

• Like 2