Why become a member? ×

Darkglass Microtubes 500 + V Aguilar TH500

tonyclaret

Hi,

I’m getting some bad gas for the Darkglass amp range.

Sounds great. Always liked the B3k and was on pedal board up until recently.

That said I love the Aguilar TH500. It always sits in the mix really well and a nice weight behind each note. Doesn’t sound weedy and thin. It’s a takes a bit of familiarisation around the gain, drive and master controls to truly utilise it.

Does the Darkglass allow you to switch in the overdrive/distortion or is either one or the other always on? From what I’m reading doesn’t sound like you can have an always on VMT, then switch to increase the drive, sounds like it would be to switch to the B3k mode?

Another question, on say the Microtubes 500 it says minimum 4 ohm’s. So I can’t use one single 8ohm cab?

Anyone any experience with both? Rational for choosing one over the other?

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyclaret

You can run the amp always clean, always b3K or always VMT clucking the right switches, or you can kick the effects in and out as you choose.

The DG is a fine amp, and isn’t just for metal/rock.

If you like the Aggie and like the B3K/b7k why not stick with that amp and pedal combination?

The simple footswitch only allows for switching between clean and dirty. The 'intelligent' footswitch allows you to switch between VMT and B3K modes, however I don't recommend this due to the EQ differences between the channels (big bass boost, mid scoop and high mid boost in B3K mode).

Edited by dannybuoy

2 hours ago, tonyclaret said:

Another question, on say the Microtubes 500 it says minimum 4 ohm’s. So I can’t use one single 8ohm cab? 

Hi Tony, I think you have this the wrong way around ie 8ohms is more than the minimum 4ohms so you will be completely fine with a single 8ohm cab.

As you will know, you won't be getting as much power out as if you were using a single 4ohm cab (or with two 8ohms together in 'parallel' which together would also result in 4ohms resistance). 

What you can't use (if there is no 2ohm switch, which there is on the M900) is two 4ohm cabs together as this will take your load to less than the minimum 4ohms.

Edited by Al Krow

Other thoughts:

The Tonehammer DI going direct to headphones with AGS on is my favourite warm vintage tone ever. The drive control on the amp is like a variable AGS control so is even more adjustable. However I only like it for that vintage fat furry sound. 

The vintage mode of the M900 doesn't sound as good direct to me, but I love it through my actual cab. It doesn't clip the lows or compress like the Aguilar's drive circuit, it distorts the midrange and mixes it with the clean tone. The overall result is more hifi, like all the harmonics of overdrive but with your original dynamics. Hard to pick a winner between the two!

For more modern scooped grindy tones though, the Darkglass eats the Aguilar for breakfast.

Edited by dannybuoy

Actually just gave my Tonehammer another bash and I can get some pretty nice aggressive sounds out of it too by scooping the mids. The mids are before the overdrive circuit so affect the character of the clipping, something key in understanding the Tonehammer! In short, you would probably be happy with either depending on which bass/tone/genre etc.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

If you're looking for an amp that has a switchable drive channel and has the versatility to cover the styles you mentioned above, I'd highly recommend the Genzler Magellan 800 over both the Tone Hammer and the Dark Glass. 

The drive channel is low gain and warm with a strong mid range bias so it's more like the Tone Hammer in that regard but I found it to be more defined and a little smoother than the TH. But it is very much the opposite of the scooped B3K sound. The Genzler also has more tonal weight and flexibility with clean sounds than both the TH and DG too, in my experience.

More details of my personal thoughts and experiences here

And here.

8 hours ago, Osiris said:

If you're looking for an amp that has a switchable drive channel and has the versatility to cover the styles you mentioned above, I'd highly recommend the Genzler Magellan 800 over both the Tone Hammer and the Dark Glass. 

The drive channel is low gain and warm with a strong mid range bias so it's more like the Tone Hammer in that regard but I found it to be more defined and a little smoother than the TH. But it is very much the opposite of the scooped B3K sound. The Genzler also has more tonal weight and flexibility with clean sounds than both the TH and DG too, in my experience.

More details of my personal thoughts and experiences here

And here.

Wow, both great reviews. I will check it out. I was a big fan of the Genz benz Shuttles back in the day, but moved to The tone hammer because there was more weight to the notes. Sounds like he’s got that covered now with Magellan.

I've not come across anyone who's had a bad word to say about the GM 800. I learned today it has a built in HPF as well! I think its drive is more limited in terms of how much dirt it can deliver as compared to e.g. the DG, which may or may not be a factor in your thinking. But in terms of value for money I think the GM is going to be hard to beat.

Here's a link to my review on the M500's big brother, the M900, in case useful to you:

You'll probably have seen that there are both a M900 and GM 800 in the FS section, which is nice timing from your perspective! :)