Why become a member? ×

BEST BASS HEAD TO GO WITH AGULAR BB 112

RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

Howdy! I'm at the halfway stage of having a pretty(as well as useful)setup.
(In my last post, I was looking for something which would look nice in my flat
and would be still there on display when I've packed up playing)

Anyway , I am expecting delivery of the Aguilar tomorrow.
Trouble is, I still havent decided on what head to go with it.

Please bear in mind the wattage etc. also I've only
got about £300.00 left to play with(give or take a few pounds!)
Lighter is better( markbass heads are not me )
Oh, the cab is in the TWEED COLOUR
Please advise

Cheers :)

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

Neither are too powerful for the db112. They are rated at 500 watts into 4 ohms, so they'll probably deliver somewhere between 250 and 325 watts into your 8 ohm cab.... which you won't if you're playing in your living room! And there's a volume control as has already been pointed out.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='332525' date='Nov 19 2008, 06:33 PM']....I thought that it's supposed to be like hi-fi (ie200watt amp-3oo watt cab/either 4 or 8 ohms....[/quote]
Hopefully you won't be running any amp flat out so the full rating numbers are not really relevant. I use a 500 watt amp, that's 300 watts, into my 8 ohm AE112 cab with no problem. It's a duo with an acoustic guitarist so I turn it down from the bass. I suppose I'm using something like 50-80 watts, max!
It's a shame you don't like Markbass amps because they sound very good with 1 Aguilar cab (8 ohms) and very, very good if you add a second DB112 (4 ohms). Gallien amps work well too.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='332493' date='Nov 19 2008, 06:08 PM']Thanks for kind words. Both look good.
Thing is, they both seem to be (on paper) too powerful for
my cab. Am thinking about maybe a Freddy Krueger.Any more thoughts?

Cheers :)[/quote]

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='332525' date='Nov 19 2008, 06:33 PM']:huh: Well that told me.
I thought that it's supposed to be like hi-fi
(ie200watt amp-3oo watt cab/either 4 or 8 ohms .)
It's the ohm bit that's the confusing thing[attachment=16139:Image041.jpg][/quote]

There's loads of info on the site Wiki re. power ratings and ohmages. A quick search on the site in general will reveal that amps and cabs of differing powers can be mixed just use your ears, if it sounds sh*t turn it down. I use a 550w amp into a single DB112 @ rehearsals and I use a pair for gigging and I've no qualms or worries what-so-ever.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='333333' date='Nov 20 2008, 07:05 PM']....I saw MISTAHBENN had an Aguilar SC-500 for sale yesterday. Paid for it today....[/quote]
That should sound very good (bit more than £300, though!!) but I wouldn't worry about the tweed rack just yet. Me? I'd start saving for the second DB112!

Edited by chris_b

How about a G.B. Shuttle 3.0? They're around the £350 mark, light and should look the part on top of that cab...

[url="http://genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid=2262&sid=610&cid=95"]http://genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid=226...=610&cid=95[/url]

Edited by ~tl

[quote name='~tl' post='333374' date='Nov 20 2008, 08:04 PM']How about a G.B. Shuttle 3.0? They're around the £350 mark, light and should look the part on top of that cab...

[url="http://genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid=2262&sid=610&cid=95"]http://genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid=226...=610&cid=95[/url][/quote]

Look up there ^ he got the Aggie head. :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='333380' date='Nov 20 2008, 08:06 PM']Look up there ^ he got the Aggie head. :)[/quote]
GAH. Must remember to read all the posts before replying to a thread...

I still think a Shuttle would look pretty good with the cab though :huh:

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='333333' date='Nov 20 2008, 07:05 PM']Thanks again folks. Well,um, I saw MISTAHBENN had an Aguilar SC-500 for sale yesterday.
Paid for it today.
Looking forward to receiving it.
Fingers crossed all is ok.
Now I have to find Tweed case for it....(more expense :)[/quote]

Good decision.
Please tell us what you think about it when you receive it.

Pedro

• 2 weeks later...

Well here it is. Waddya think? I may be repeating myself if you've seen
my other thread .Anyway, it sounds great.The cab I have has no tweeter.
I've gone above budget , but it's worth it.(Nice one Benn).

Next year I intend to get tweed box for AG 500SC,and cover for cab.
Also another DB-112(wow factor etc:)

I found rack bag in loft,and was wondering if I have to remove it from bag prior to gigging.
I know amp has vents ,so I've probably answered my own question.

Phot's from phone, if you wanna see more let me know.

Cheers