Why become a member? ×

New Rickenbacker, clean up stand transfer

Sean.Robinson

Hi, ive just bought a rickenbacker from ebay today and absolutely cant wait for it to get here. The bass is in absolute mint condition apart from what i suspect to be a transfer from the stand to the bottom of the bass. I find similar issues tend to just rub off however i dont know if this will be the case until it gets here but to be honest i dont really care if it cant be removed as other than it th bass is spotless and ive being wanting a rickenbacker in this colour for so long now yet alone one in this condition. So in short im just wondering if anyone has any preliminary ideas of whether this will come off and if so how they would go about tackling it, obviously im not looking for any ideas that could be destructive in any way, just rub off, or solutions that might work.

Here is the bass and the area im talking about:

As you can see the marks on the bottom line up with how the bass sits on the stand which lead me to believe this is a transfer and should come off easily but as i say id love some input. Pardon the first picture, its purely to show off the bass :)

[quote name='Sean.Robinson' post='331199' date='Nov 18 2008, 01:23 AM']Hi, ive just bought a rickenbacker from ebay today and absolutely cant wait for it to get here. The bass is in absolute mint condition apart from what i suspect to be a transfer from the stand to the bottom of the bass. I find similar issues tend to just rub off however i dont know if this will be the case until it gets here but to be honest i dont really care if it cant be removed as other than it th bass is spotless and ive being wanting a rickenbacker in this colour for so long now yet alone one in this condition. So in short im just wondering if anyone has any preliminary ideas of whether this will come off and if so how they would go about tackling it, obviously im not looking for any ideas that could be destructive in any way, just rub off, or solutions that might work.

Here is the bass and the area im talking about:

As you can see the marks on the bottom line up with how the bass sits on the stand which lead me to believe this is a transfer and should come off easily but as i say id love some input. Pardon the first picture, its purely to show off the bass :)[/quote]
Some light Rick finishes discolour easily (eg the creamy white finish on the Chris Squire 4001 is notorious) - this definitely looks to me that the paint has taken colour from the rubber feet of the guitar stand. As its unlikely to be just the very surface affected I'm guessing there's probably little you can do about it (a re-fin is not an option I assume, and anyway its not worth it for such a small area when the rest of the paint is in such nice nick). You could check the RickResource forum as there are loads of Rick fanatics on there who know every trick in the book - but I do recall CS owners moaning about discoloration, suggesting its not fixable.

If it were mine I wouldn't let it bother me as you don't see that part of the bass when playing or when its displayed.

BTW, damn fine looking bass!

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='BassManKev' post='331390' date='Nov 18 2008, 12:00 PM']yeah definitly would appear to be discolouring rather than transfer, no matter though as its a lovely bass! dare we ask how much??[/quote]

Not that bad actually, though if the pound was at the value it was say 2 months ago it would have been a bargain, £1100, though probably £1200 with shipping. Thanks for all the replys, at university at the moment though so i havnt got time for a proper reply

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='331386' date='Nov 18 2008, 11:51 AM']I'm with Clarky - assuming that the lacquer on Rics is nitro and not poly, that's caused by a reaction between the nitro and the rubber on a stand. It won't polish out - in fact it might not come off at all. Wouldn't bother me, but the only way to sort it out, might be a partial respray[/quote]

The lacquer on Rics is conversion varnish, not nitro.

That happened to both the CSs I've had (and yes, the finishes on those are notorious for marking, discolouring and generally falling apart), and unfortunately it wouldn't come out, even with T-cut.