Why become a member? ×

Status Hot Wires Black Nylon strings

andyonbass

The BC Massive have more stock of the Tapewounds Nylons than Status themselves. When we found out there was little stock left me and two other BCers bought 10 sets between us. Only the 4 string sets though.

D'Addario do a .50 gauge set I believe.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/362042573853?chn=ps&adgroupid=46781198765&rlsatarget=pla-378868108227&abcId=1129946&adtype=pla&merchantid=7268794&poi=&googleloc=9046033&device=c&campaignid=974199509&crdt=0

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, walbassist said:

Indeed.  What scale length do you need?  I only ask as I have some 38" winding La Bella white nylons for sale if you fancy giving them a go?

Thanks for the offer Gareth but it's particularly the black ones that I'm after.....

On 2/6/2018 at 08:04, andyonbass said:

I notice Status Graphite no longer offer their black nylon strings. Seeing as the ones on my fretless are a few years old now, I am wondering if there is a comparible alternative. It's a five string so a good B is important.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I bought a set last week. I just checked and they're still there in the list of bass strings... 

On 08/02/2018 at 10:09, mcnach said:

I bought a set last week. I just checked and they're still there in the list of bass strings... 

All I could find was this note....

Unfortunately our previous manufacturer stopped making strings completely

so we have taken some time to find a new supplier
who could continue to make our custom strings to our specifications.

We currently have only round-wound strings available but hope to have
flats, halves and black nylon sometime soon.
I will add a note to our website when they are available.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

14 hours ago, andyonbass said:

All I could find was this note....

Yes, I saw that... but if you go to the online shop, go to bass strings, medium scale (which actually are just fine for Fender 4-inline 34" scale bases), single ball end... you'll find the black nylons. I placed an order and it arrived...

• Thanks 1

On ‎15‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 09:39, mcnach said:

Yes, I saw that... but if you go to the online shop, go to bass strings, medium scale (which actually are just fine for Fender 4-inline 34" scale bases), single ball end... you'll find the black nylons. I placed an order and it arrived...

So medium status strings do fit long scale basses then are we saying?

Edited by Pow_22

6 minutes ago, Pow_22 said:

So medium status strings do fit long scale basses then are we saying?

Yes. Strange as most manufacturers would call them Long Scale... but the medium Status strings fit Precision/Jazz basses (4-in line, so 2+2 would be ok too)

Just to confirn whats been said about medium scale black nylons from Status.

Yes they do fit 34" basses.  Mick The Greeeeeeeeeeeek told me this when i was at his house, and so i ordered some. So mediums are ok

Edited by fleabag

The Long scale are out of stock. Rob is under the impression that the medium scale strings don't fit a 4 inline - I thought they were fine for 2+2, didn't realise they were OK for both.

We live and learn.

Fleabag, there's an "e" missing in the way you spelt my username.:D

Edited by TheGreek

On 19/02/2018 at 11:46, TheGreek said:

The Long scale are out of stock. Rob is under the impression that the medium scale strings don't fit a 4 inline - I thought they were fine for 2+2, didn't realise they were OK for both.

We live and learn.

Fleabag, there's an "e" missing in the way you spelt my username.:D

I ordered medium scale based on your recommendation! :D

They did fit my Precision just fine.

I got the 45-105 set... and it's growing rapidly on me. However I really wish they were thicker. I had to measure them with my electronic calipers as I thought they were more like a 40-95 or 40-100 perhaps. I really wish I could get something like a 50-110 set. The thinner strings in particular feel too thin. The Labella white nylons I got are a 50-105 set and those feel suitably 'girthy', while still very soft to play. But I like the sound of the Status blacks. More 'thumpy' than the white nylons, but not like the TruBass or even D'Addario ones... and on the Precision, rolling off treble a bit and bumping the low mids... it's such a lovely thick tone. Yum!

25 minutes ago, mcnach said:

I ordered medium scale based on your recommendation! :D

They did fit my Precision just fine.

I got the 45-105 set... and it's growing rapidly on me. However I really wish they were thicker. I had to measure them with my electronic calipers as I thought they were more like a 40-95 or 40-100 perhaps. I really wish I could get something like a 50-110 set. The thinner strings in particular feel too thin. The Labella white nylons I got are a 50-105 set and those feel suitably 'girthy', while still very soft to play. But I like the sound of the Status blacks. More 'thumpy' than the white nylons, but not like the TruBass or even D'Addario ones... and on the Precision, rolling off treble a bit and bumping the low mids... it's such a lovely thick tone. Yum!

I generally use 40s but if I can find 35s I'll have these instead so the Status 40s are ideal for me...the tone is wondrous!!

On 18/02/2018 at 14:35, mcnach said:

So are these different from what they used to sell?

The nylons they have left are the last of the Picato made Status strings. Whenever they get a new batch in, it will be Status nylons but made by a different manufacturer so the string will be a little different from previous versions.