Why become a member? ×

NCD - Barefaced Big Baby II

tauzero

Having heard so much in favour of Barefaced, and having actually bought a one10, and seeing as my poor old bones are feeling the weight even of Berg AE112s, I thought I'd keep a lookout for a Big Baby II, which seemed to be what I needed for the rock bands (the one10 is great for the acoustic band but with no tweeter, it lacks the bite I want for the rock bands). Managed to snag one on That Ebay, and although it was collection from somewhere near the South Coast, the seller also journeyed up to the Midlands regularly and so it was that we did the deed in the car park of the National Motorcycle Museum.

I did an A/B against one of the Bergs and thought it seemed rather lacking with bite, even when I turned the tweeter all the way up. Then I tried turning the tweeter all the way down, and the treble arrived. That's the trouble with doing things by feel. It seems to have what I want from a cab, good range, thick bottom end, good bit of bite, and goes pretty loud. I'm toying with the idea of using the one10 as a monitor by angling it upwards - suppose it depends on how loud I want to go. Nice and light too, though a bit bigger than an AE112. Roqsolid cover on the way. Now to sell a pair of Bergs...

12 hours ago, tauzero said:

I did an A/B against one of the Bergs and thought it seemed rather lacking with bite, even when I turned the tweeter all the way up. Then I tried turning the tweeter all the way down, and the treble arrived. That's the trouble with doing things by feel.

The BB2 is a great cab.  I gigged mine recently with my new Quilter BB800 and it was just sublime.

Regarding the horn - turning the knob counterclockwise turns the horn ON, clockwise is OFF.  This is unusual, so maybe you got it the wrong way round?

Frank.

Also to be noted regarding the tweeter control - As I understand it, most attenuators just turn the horn's output up and down, whereas the BB2's dial actually moves some of those high end frequencies toward the woofer as it dials down the horn's output. AmIRite @Alex Claber? 

• Like 1

On 1/31/2018 at 13:18, machinehead said:

The BB2 is a great cab.  I gigged mine recently with my new Quilter BB800 and it was just sublime.

Regarding the horn - turning the knob counterclockwise turns the horn ON, clockwise is OFF.  This is unusual, so maybe you got it the wrong way round?

Like I say, when I turned the tweeter all the way down, I got the treble. I hadn't got much room to manoeuvre and the cab was close to the wall, and I hadn't looked at the pretty picture on the back before putting it there. Now I know what I'm doing (at least with regard to which way to turn the knob, the bit about sticking your fingers on the fretboard in the right place is still a bit of a mystery). It'll get a run out on the 25th.