Why become a member? ×

Nooo! Bass string tree broke!

la bam

Evening all,

Cant believe this has happened now!

Ive a full on practice with a new band tomorrow where ive got 3 weeks to get 2 sets done, and ive just changed the strings on my yamaha bb424 and firstly i noticed the little clasp on the headstock that holds the lightest 2 strings in place was crooked. 

I tried to straighten and tighten but had no luck.

Ive changed the strings and on tightening up to pitch..BANG! the clasp, spigot and screw went flying out.

Tried to re screw in but theres no grip for the screw now.

Ive tried to fit just under the original hole and BANG! that did exactly the same.

So now i cant play it at all.

Has anyone got any info on why this happened, or any quick fixes?

I do have a spare for practice, but im going to look a bit stupid. We are a tribute band and the black bass helped me get the gig.....and my spare is bright metallic red!

Any help appreciated!!

Edited by la bam

I am not sure if yours is the same as on my 1024X as mine has two screws through into the body, if yours only has one screw which is not gripping the body anymore you could drop a bit of tooth pick or a shaved bit of matchstick into the hole which will allow you to screw the screw back into it

I hope that helps

4 minutes ago, ped said:

Surely the string tree isn't essential anyway - is it?

I suspect the break angle over the nut will be insufficient and will mean the strings pop out of the slots.

I would:

1. Not panic

2. As suggested, drop a sliver of toothpick in with a bit of glue, leave to dry, cut off So level with the headstock face, make a minor indent in to get the screw in and then re-screw the tree in. 

3. If you have one, I'd use a slightly larger screw (tiny bit longer and tiny bit bigger diameter)

7 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

I suspect the break angle over the nut will be insufficient and will mean the strings pop out of the slots.

I would:

1. Not panic

2. As suggested, drop a sliver of toothpick in with a bit of glue, leave to dry, cut off So level with the headstock face, make a minor indent in to get the screw in and then re-screw the tree in. 

3. If you have one, I'd use a slightly larger screw (tiny bit longer and tiny bit bigger diameter)

Exactly right. With the tree gone the first 2 strings just fall out of the slots.

Ive tried it without the spacer/spigot and its holding, so all i can guess is that the original screw wasnt long enough?

Do i need the spacer to be there? (which raises up the clasp) If so i'll go and buy a longer screw. If not, i'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the help so far.

The spacer will affect the break angle out of the nut - it might feel like there's more tension on those two strings. Sounds like the screw is cutting into a new hole if it's holding without the spacer. 

Ideally you want to get it to hold with the spacer.  I would still go for the sliver of wood glued into the hole - it will give the screw something to bite into