Why become a member? ×

Band intros. And on bass... "The Fat Bloke"...

thepurpleblob

[quote name='Tracer' post='331646' date='Nov 18 2008, 05:46 PM']Would the bass riff sampled in Rapper's Delight be too long? Because if that doesn't make people grin then there's something wrong with them and they should be publicly flogged.[/quote]

And... I can actually play it - sort of. An excellent demonstration of the Dorian mode :)

If you want one short phrase that says "I play bass", try the riff that underlies the second half of each verse in [i]Superstition[/i] by Stevie Wonder, where the vocal is "13-month-old babies ...".

It's much easier to play it in E rather than the original Eb, and don't cheat by using the A / Bb / B slide on the E string ... it should be G / A / B as separate notes.

[quote name='Tracer' post='331646' date='Nov 18 2008, 05:46 PM']Would the bass riff sampled in Rapper's Delight be too long? Because if that doesn't make people grin then there's something wrong with them and they should be publicly flogged.[/quote]

[quote name='5_string_death' post='331891' date='Nov 18 2008, 10:13 PM']Try Can't Touch This by MC Hammer, always gets a laugh, no matter what the crowd. Simple as f*** really, takes about 20 seconds to learn.
Zach[/quote]

or (for those of us who loath the growing number of artists that sample killer funk basslines with no implied recognition to the original) Good Times by Chic, and Super Freak by Rick James

/pedantic outburst :huh:

:)

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='332596' date='Nov 19 2008, 08:04 PM']or (for those of us who loath the growing number of artists that sample killer funk basslines with no implied recognition to the original) Good Times by Chic, and Super Freak by Rick James

:)[/quote]

I was just about to write that. Thanks for not making me feel like the only one!

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='332596' date='Nov 19 2008, 10:04 AM']or (for those of us who loath the growing number of artists that sample killer funk basslines with no implied recognition to the original) Good Times by Chic, and Super Freak by Rick James

:)[/quote]
Amen!!!

The last time I was introduced and "expected" to do a wee solo (coz everyone else had) I simply did a big "WArrrrrrooooommmm" slide up and down my E string and said, loud enough for the band and the closest audience members to hear "Now f*ck off you sadistic c**ts."

As I remained the only person on stage not reduced to gibbering giggles I clearly remained the coolest looking dude on stage. Simple.

Edited by Scoop

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='329692' date='Nov 15 2008, 03:21 PM']I play in a covers band. I've always played in a covers band. Well I played in an originals for a few gigs but I replaced somebody else, so it was still a covers band for me. Anyway, you get to that bit at the end of the night where (yes I know it's cheesy...) the singer intros the band, everybody plays a little solo... except me. I don't have a clue what to play. I've never improvised in any meaningful way or played a solo in my life.

Can anybody help me not look like an idiot? :)[/quote]

I used to hate those band intro things. I'd just bang both hands hard on the strings a couple of times if asked.

But if you must play something for decorum's sake, Oh Well by Fleetwood Mac is simple and groovy.

[quote name='HeavyJay' post='342951' date='Dec 2 2008, 12:56 PM']I used to hate those band intro things. I'd just bang both hands hard on the strings a couple of times if asked.

But if you must play something for decorum's sake, Oh Well by Fleetwood Mac is simple and groovy.[/quote]

Ha... I had to seek that out on YouTube. I'd no idea that was by Fleetwood Mac. Learn something new...... etc.