Why become a member? ×

Road Worn 50's Precision vs American Vintage 58

bootleg

I played the Bass Direct one just before Christmas. Felt a little nicer to play than my Classic 50s Precision (same thing but 'modern' paint and no wear on it). Was only there to buy strings, so left it where I found it. I might have been tempted to buy it had it had strings on that impressed me,  as it was, the fitted round wounds were not to my taste.

Having said that, a week later, and under the affluence of inkerhol, I bought a new Road Worn on line, changed the strings as soon as it arrived and love it! I am loathe to get shot of my Classic 50s, but if one of them had to go, it would be that one. 

5 hours ago, ead said:

Which RW did you buy, was it one of the 50's?

Yes, the MiM 50s classic roadworn, just back from it's first rehearsal, felt and sounded great, even through a rehearsal studio's amp & cab. I'll be trying it through my own gear at next Saturday's gig.

I'm not over-keen on the uniform wear-by-template of these basses, but they do sound and feel more authentic than they look!

41 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Yes, the MiM 50s classic roadworn, just back from it's first rehearsal, felt and sounded great, even through a rehearsal studio's amp & cab. I'll be trying it through my own gear at next Saturday's gig.

I'm not over-keen on the uniform wear-by-template of these basses, but they do sound and feel more authentic than they look!

I suppose in 10 years time they'll all have different wear patterns and look very different from one another.

Edited by gjones

Just now, gjones said:

I suppose in 10 years time they'll all have different wear patters and look very different from one another.

I'm rather relying on that! Either that or most of them will have become firewood, but at 1250 quid a pop that's not too likely! My view after a week or so of ownership & two string changes is that it is a better bass than it looks. Once the novelty wears off, I suspect I'll pick one of my US Standards for gigs more often than the road worn, but only time can say if that's true.

44 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Once the novelty wears off, I suspect I'll pick one of my US Standards for gigs more often than the road worn, but only time can say if that's true.

The solution I use for that  is roadworn wears flats and thumps and the old USA wears rounds and zings :)

Then depending on my mood I'll grab one.

Edited by Highfox

8 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Nah, they all wear flats, all Precision sound and feel so right with flats! None of the bands I play in need a bass that zings. 

There such a thing as a tone knob.

The feel of each bass is slightly different as well, the 73 has a pretty fast neck and the roadworn a bit more meaty..