Why become a member? ×

Black label Warwick strings?

Annoying Twit

I would like to try a set of new, quality, strings to see what they are like. Are the Warwick black label strings considered good quality? I'll be buying a six string set, hence the cost is non-trivial.

So far my only experience has been using whatever unknown strings came on the second hand basses I've bought. I would like to have a benchmark to compare things from. But I don't want to spend huge amounts for boutique strings.

[quote name='jake_tenfloors' post='328325' date='Nov 13 2008, 01:19 PM']i use to use Warwick EMP strings and they were great and lasted ages!!

:)[/quote]

YMMV, as they say: I tried them once and they didn't sound as bright as Warwick Red Labels to start with, and didn't seem to last any longer.

The only string I ever snapped was a warwick. (a "D" out of a 6-string set).

D'addario 6 set is my recommendation for life, tone and price.

EDIT: I didn't mean only change your strings once in your life - just meant d'addarios seem to last longer!

Edited by guyl

I have used Black label 45-135 for years.
Never had a problem with them.
I do get a 50% deal on them..so i suppose i am going to like them.. :)

The thing with strings , is you will try different makes and then
you end up with what YOU like, Regardless what others say.
One wimps stgs on a girlie no action Bass is going to sound
Different on a Bass with an action like a crossbow played by action man.
So £££'s and gauges down the road you will get there... :huh:

Garry

Given the responses here, and some other thinking I've done, I might go for a single high C. My new ebay 6'er has two high G strings, and no C. For £60 I won't complain. I thought it might be an idea to buy a nice set of strings, and Warwick strings of all levels are available in six string packs, it seems.

Is it reasonable to save £££ while experimenting by buying single strings. So I end up liking the A string more than the E, so I go with those in the future.

I tried looking for a low F# 0.175 string, but it seems hard to find unless I buy a £40 Warwick dark lord four string set, then spend even more money buying D and G strings. (Or keep the ones I've got). On a £60 bass, this might be overkill. Not to mention that I might have to modify the nut.

By the A'addario 6 set, does a previous poster mean these ones?

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=3478"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=3478[/url]

I have been told that nickel wound strings are more mellow than steel strings, and I like mellow. Is this likely to be true?

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='328507' date='Nov 13 2008, 05:07 PM']By the A'addario 6 set, does a previous poster mean these ones?

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=3478"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=3478[/url]

I have been told that nickel wound strings are more mellow than steel strings, and I like mellow. Is this likely to be true?[/quote]

Oh bugger - you found them for 2 quid cheaper than I just paid at String Busters!

Actually I use a slightly lighter gauge EXL170-6 - but yes the same. And also yes, you seem to loose some metallic harshness with the nickels. Personal choice.

Stringbusters are helpful with "unusual" single strings. They once sent me an addario Low F#. Didn't have a long enough scale to get decent definition though, so it didn't last long. Now i use it to tow broken down lorries!

I used Black Labels for a couple of years in a rock band, and loved them. They last ages, and keep a good punchy tone throughout. The only problem I had was that I found them quite abbrasive on the fingers, but you get used to that. They sounded great on a Thunderbird, Marcus Miller Jazz, Precision etc.

I've ended up going back to EB Super Slinkys, because I just prefer the feel of them, and I like the tone. Just my preference.

[quote name='guyl' post='328943' date='Nov 14 2008, 10:59 AM']Oh bugger - you found them for 2 quid cheaper than I just paid at String Busters!

Actually I use a slightly lighter gauge EXL170-6 - but yes the same. And also yes, you seem to loose some metallic harshness with the nickels. Personal choice.

Stringbusters are helpful with "unusual" single strings. They once sent me an addario Low F#. Didn't have a long enough scale to get decent definition though, so it didn't last long. Now i use it to tow broken down lorries![/quote]

Soundslive adds too much postage on - not competitive.

I looked into a low F#, but it would cost too much. All else being equal, given that I'm not a professional and hence don't need to be sensible, I'd give it a try. But it would cost too much. But I couldn't find any sign of any individual strings apart from Rotosounds, which didn't have any strings larger than a low B. I did find a 0.195 (!) low C# on the Conklin guitars site.

I think I'm going to go for a set of D'Addarios with the 0.135 low B.

Hi all

I use gallistrings on all my basses and I think they are great. Not very expensive, they last a good long time and give a sound that I like. I use the nickel strings on the 4 and 5 and stainless steel on the 6.

They are not widely available but the Bass Merchant stocks them as does (I think) the Gallery.

N

[quote name='jhk' post='331054' date='Nov 17 2008, 09:39 PM']I phoned these guys direct and got a deal for three sets for just under £30 including p & p for my six string bass.Not the greatest ,but not the worst either,but at a good price to experiment![/quote]

£10 for a 6 string set? What brand? Who did you phone?