Why become a member? ×

Strandberg - somethings cooking - boden bass

winterfire666

This may be a little premature but im super excited by this.

Ola strandberg posted this on fb with the phrase something is cooking #bodenbass.

my main bass is a sublime xylem custom so its rare for a new bass to excite me but ill be preordering one of these asap. 

I treated myself to a boden os6 guitar last year and its so far ahead of the competition in terms of playabity and erganomics. The endurneck really does make such a difference, strange at first but so comfortable. 

There was a prototype boden bass made a few years ago (video on youtube)and i have messaged several times enquiring about possible production but always met with the answer 'not any time soon'

Hopefully there wont be too long a wait.

24174724_1710312822346487_4269488399717368490_n.jpg.77d0b02ad5b69d40848378be9cd092b0.jpg

• Like 2

Ill be interested to see what kind of pickup configurations, electronics and finishes they go for . Heres hoping for a maple board/ black hardware option with a purple/blue burst finish and a darkglass tone capsule.  

Pickups wise the guitars tend to use suhr/seymour duncan/fishman/lace so i would expect to see something from one of those brands on there.

I agree it all looks a little off. Im sure its not helped by the chrome on the pickups. Fingers crossed things will be adjusted.

When i got my os6 guitar i wasnt overly into the looks but i got it as a recording guitar and i love it now. If it plays as well as that and sounds great it really doesnt matter to me if the pickup config looks a little off, gotta have black hardware though.

The angle of the pic makes the pickups look off. They seem to be more of a "v" if you flip the picture. They're Lace Alumitone pickups, I've seen them on a few high end basses lately. Better output, clarity, range blah blah, the usual blurb. 

I don't imagine they'll be stock, more like a customer spec build. 

I like different looking headless basses, not too struck on that though. 

• 4 weeks later...

They have stuck with those pickup angles?????!  Really hope they allow custom config, it just looks awful and spoils what could be a stunning instrument.  Still note a huge fan of the knobs either.

From the news letter '
NAMM 2018 Preview - Touching Bass

After 1st unveiling the prototype back at NAMM 2016, we have some good news and some bad news; the good news is that you WILL see a bass this year at NAMM, the bad news its the same Bass as before. However, the Boden bass will be touched up with a nice finish as well as upgraded electronics. We will also have some very special news to come along with this prototype... stay tuned for the announcement at NAMM!'

fingers crossed other versions are in the works, given the wording it sound like a possibility.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/3/2018 at 13:20, Kev said:

They have stuck with those pickup angles?????!  Really hope they allow custom config, it just looks awful and spoils what could be a stunning instrument.  Still note a huge fan of the knobs either.

I think they have to to align with the string response at corresponding lengths over the compound scale. If they were straight, you'd risk uneven response. My guess?

1 hour ago, visog said:

I think they have to to align with the string response at corresponding lengths over the compound scale. If they were straight, you'd risk uneven response. My guess?

Dingwall copes well with it :)