winterfire666

Strandberg - somethings cooking - boden bass

This may be a little premature but im super excited by this.

Ola strandberg posted this on fb with the phrase something is cooking #bodenbass.

my main bass is a sublime xylem custom so its rare for a new bass to excite me but ill be preordering one of these asap. 

I treated myself to a boden os6 guitar last year and its so far ahead of the competition in terms of playabity and erganomics. The endurneck really does make such a difference, strange at first but so comfortable. 

There was a prototype boden bass made a few years ago (video on youtube)and i have messaged several times enquiring about possible production but always met with the answer 'not any time soon'

Hopefully there wont be too long a wait.

24174724_1710312822346487_4269488399717368490_n.jpg.77d0b02ad5b69d40848378be9cd092b0.jpg

• Like 2

Yes yes yes.  I need this to happen, Strandbergs look so sexy I'v been tempted to buy one before, and I can't play guitar.  The proto looked a bit odd, so hopefully the design has been overhauled :)

Ill be interested to see what kind of pickup configurations, electronics and finishes they go for . Heres hoping for a maple board/ black hardware option with a purple/blue burst finish and a darkglass tone capsule.  

Pickups wise the guitars tend to use suhr/seymour duncan/fishman/lace so i would expect to see something from one of those brands on there.

Thats the prototype from a few years back. Im not super keen on the finish options in this version, it will be interesting to see how this develops into the finished model.

1 hour ago, Pauld said:

Found this on Twitter.

481B2472-E5B4-4408-BB1D-DE1583463D6F.jpeg

Yeah, I can't look past that p pickup position, makes me a little sick looking at it! 

Body shape is lovely but everything going on on top of it is not good, so hopefully this will change :)

I agree it all looks a little off. Im sure its not helped by the chrome on the pickups. Fingers crossed things will be adjusted.

When i got my os6 guitar i wasnt overly into the looks but i got it as a recording guitar and i love it now. If it plays as well as that and sounds great it really doesnt matter to me if the pickup config looks a little off, gotta have black hardware though.

Not just visual though; given the extra scale length of the E, that split coil is insanely far up the scale, tonally doesn't make much sense to me, should be angled the other way. 

Surely the p would be better angled like the j is to match the fan fret. A bit like the pickup on a Dingwall super p.

The angle of the pic makes the pickups look off. They seem to be more of a "v" if you flip the picture. They're Lace Alumitone pickups, I've seen them on a few high end basses lately. Better output, clarity, range blah blah, the usual blurb. 

I don't imagine they'll be stock, more like a customer spec build. 

I like different looking headless basses, not too struck on that though. 

My brother used to have one of the Boden guitars and quite liked it. I dare say though, I'm not desperate to see a bass version. The body shape looks great in guitar size but it wouldn't appeal to me scaled up to bass guitar proportions. 

They have stuck with those pickup angles?????!  Really hope they allow custom config, it just looks awful and spoils what could be a stunning instrument.  Still note a huge fan of the knobs either.

From the news letter '
NAMM 2018 Preview - Touching Bass

After 1st unveiling the prototype back at NAMM 2016, we have some good news and some bad news; the good news is that you WILL see a bass this year at NAMM, the bad news its the same Bass as before. However, the Boden bass will be touched up with a nice finish as well as upgraded electronics. We will also have some very special news to come along with this prototype... stay tuned for the announcement at NAMM!'

fingers crossed other versions are in the works, given the wording it sound like a possibility.

On 1/3/2018 at 13:20, Kev said:

They have stuck with those pickup angles?????!  Really hope they allow custom config, it just looks awful and spoils what could be a stunning instrument.  Still note a huge fan of the knobs either.

I think they have to to align with the string response at corresponding lengths over the compound scale. If they were straight, you'd risk uneven response. My guess?

1 hour ago, visog said:

I think they have to to align with the string response at corresponding lengths over the compound scale. If they were straight, you'd risk uneven response. My guess?

Dingwall copes well with it :)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.