Why become a member? ×

going rate for a Christmas cruise

john_the_bass

So we (the band) have found an ad for a winter cruise - it's from 24th Dec until 1st Jan inclusive and if we took it, would mean leaving the family over Christmas, something that I'm not particularly happy or willing to do, but of course everybody, including me, has their price.

What would you say was the going rate for a 5 piece band to be sat on a boat for 8 days on the trot, with a gig every night over that period - bearing in mind it'll include Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, NYE and New Years Day.

Personally, I have thought that a good way to work out what my time is worth is to look at it as an hourly rate that I would expect to earn in the band, multiply that by an 8 hour day and then double time for Boxing Day, NYE, New Years Day and triple time for Christmas Day.
Anybody agree? Anybody care to offer what they would expect from this as a band or an individual?

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='327159' date='Nov 11 2008, 10:47 PM']What would you say was the going rate for a 5 piece band to be sat on a boat for 8 days on the trot, with a gig every night over that period - bearing in mind it'll include Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, NYE and New Years Day.[/quote]

With or without the £3000 bar tab you'll run up :)

I've cruised as a headline act quite extensively. In my experience they will not pay premium for the period as a band. There is a class structure aboard ships placing bands amongst crew and headliners amongst officers. Cruise lines have the entire world as a recruitment source for music, most of which is non Christian and often considerably lower paid than we in the west expect.
Sorry to be the bringer of bad news but I believe you have very little bargaining power as the fee will be in the hands of the booker and the agent, you will get what they are offering and if you don't want it you won't get the job. If you manage to prove me wrong on this (and I hope you do) please let me know the name of the cruise line and the agent who handled the job for you.
I have worked for P&O, Holland America, Renaissance, Cunard, Saga and am looking at Silver Seas.

Personally, I will not leave my family for anything less than £5000 (to me) for Christams day. Guess what.... I've never worked it

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='crez5150' post='327362' date='Nov 12 2008, 10:11 AM']Min 8k and make sure they stage it!![/quote]

Wow! good work if you can get it I suppose – I’d deffo do it for 8k, and I’d probably do it for as little as 4k, but that’s only because I wouldn’t be leaving a wife and kids over Christmas.

[quote name='Hamster' post='327184' date='Nov 11 2008, 11:21 PM']With or without the £3000 bar tab you'll run up :)[/quote]

How dare you!

[quote name='Rusty Shackleford' post='327340' date='Nov 12 2008, 09:54 AM']unless you have kids or a wife then do it. xmas sucks a fatty and if the money is alright t least it'll be another feather in your silly jon the bass cap.

Rusty knows best.[/quote]

And how dare you! It's a hat, not a cap!

[quote name='crez5150' post='327362' date='Nov 12 2008, 10:11 AM']Min 8k and make sure they stage it!![/quote]

What do you mean by make sure they stage it? Is that £8k for the band or each?

Jake that info is quite useful, is there an argument that as you move out of the Christian west, the tolerance for stuff like dancing and enjoying yourself and playing western music is less and therefore the chances of you competing against a band from the east that plays the sort of rubbish that cover bands like mine do, is less likely?
Just a thought

[quote name='crez5150' post='327387' date='Nov 12 2008, 10:35 AM']8k each.... you'll be very lucky..... no 8k for the gig... Stage it.... make sure they provide FOH, Engineer and possibly backline but that's not always that clever an option....[/quote]
£8k over 8 days? Sorry if this appears an obvious question, but I've not looked at this sort of thing before.
TBH, I'm kind of with Jake on how much I'd have to see to take me away from my family on Christmas Day

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='327392' date='Nov 12 2008, 10:39 AM']....TBH, I'm kind of with Jake on how much I'd have to see to take me away from my family on Christmas Day....[/quote]
Get the wife and kids some maracas and take them with you!

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='327385' date='Nov 12 2008, 10:31 AM']Jake that info is quite useful, is there an argument that as you move out of the Christian west, the tolerance for stuff like dancing and enjoying yourself and playing western music is less and therefore the chances of you competing against a band from the east that plays the sort of rubbish that cover bands like mine do, is less likely?
Just a thought[/quote]

I was not clear in my earlier post...
The clientele on a ship is largely American or English/European. The eastern reference was to Philipino bands that will play for 8 hrs a night for a dollar a day.... is what you're competing with. And I am not exaggerating one bit. When I did the Holland America world cruise in 2004 I got friendly with the stage manager, a very professional and capable Philipino guy, He was one of the most senior Philipinos on the ship and was earning $15 a week.

[quote name='chris_b' post='327399' date='Nov 12 2008, 10:46 AM']Get the wife and kids some maracas and take them with you![/quote]
That would be my only other consideration, we had a sniff of Christmas in Geneva, I was willing to spend the fee on taking the family. Sadly didn't materialise but the same agent sent us to Dubai in Oct for 10 days instead. WooHoo.

[quote name='bumnote' post='327404' date='Nov 12 2008, 10:55 AM']If you or know anyone who is in the musicians union, look on their web site for the going rates for ships[/quote]

This is the problem with a lot of bands...... would you do this with a regular job..... see what others are being paid and then try to get the same sorta money.... It's all about marketing yourself guys come on... I've said this time and time again and people still undersell themselves.... sorry if I'm ranting about this but it's one of my pet hates...

Crez - sorry if I'm being thick, but I'm trying to put together the info in your posts into info that I understand - I'm not being sarky/cheeky/flippant, but from what you've said, can I assume you mean £8k for the band for 8 days on the trot over Christmas/New Year with FOH and Engineer supplied?

Forgive me if it seems obvious to you, but I've not been in this position before, so I'm just trying to get a better understanding of this.

I don't do this for a living and the company I work for don't break for Christmas, so I would have to book the Christmas holiday off as leave and then spend it on a boat - so it has to pay.

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='327410' date='Nov 12 2008, 11:02 AM']Crez - sorry if I'm being thick, but I'm trying to put together the info in your posts into info that I understand - I'm not being sarky/cheeky/flippant, but from what you've said, can I assume you mean £8k for the band for 8 days on the trot over Christmas/New Year with FOH and Engineer supplied?

Forgive me if it seems obvious to you, but I've not been in this position before, so I'm just trying to get a better understanding of this.

I don't do this for a living and the company I work for don't break for Christmas, so I would have to book the Christmas holiday off as leave and then spend it on a boat - so it has to pay.[/quote]

Yes mate.... We've done cruises before (Crystal, Gills, Cruiseline etc..) and charged between 6-9k for the period, maybe slightly longer by a few days or so. 8K for the whole period. like I say, try and get them to stage it. This will depend on where they want you... Main stage - no problem as they will have an in house system... if they want you as a lounge act then you'll probably end up having to take your own gear... Let me know where your departing from though as I have some good PA contacts near most ports in the UK and Germany.

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='327425' date='Nov 12 2008, 11:19 AM']Ok mate thank you - and your fee isn't reflective of the time of year (presumably based on Jake's first post that they won't pay a premium because it's Christmas)? Would you add a bit on for the festive season?[/quote]

Nope.... Jake is spot on.... just because it's xmas don't expect anymore.... but as I've said in countless other threads.... It's all about selling yourself... The band I play in is probably no better than any other pro outfit but we are fantastic at PR..... it helps

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='327450' date='Nov 12 2008, 11:50 AM']If you PM member 'beneathitall' - friend of mine called Mike - he'll probably give you a good idea. I know he has a lot of experience doing winter cruising as a bass player.[/quote]

'Winter Cruising'..... sounds like rent boys for OAPs....lol :) :huh: :huh: