Why become a member? ×

Fretless neck build - cost ?

fleabag

I'm toying with the idea of having an even better quailty fretless neck made for my current fretless.

Has anyone had one made by any UK luthier ?  I am of course including any of the amazing bass builders on Basschat

What sort of cost am i looking at ?   I know this is wood dependant, and other things, like some wood is quicker to

work with than others, fret lines / dots, and so on, blah blah, but ballpark figures are fine.  If you've had a neck made in the UK, can you list how much and what sort of wood and whether you had dots and /or fretlines etc  ? This will narrow things down.  Exotic wood will cost more, natch

Edited by fleabag

43 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

With the quality of off the shelf stuff available from Warmoth et all, I guess having one built isn't really worth doing.

Importing has its own foibles and drawbacks, and 'off the shelf', even if of a high standard, may not be exactly what is required. Just sayin'.

6 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I think that if you PMed Andy and Jezza when they weren't so busy you probably get a couple of very enticing quotes. Both have builds on at the moment, can you wait till the New Year?

OOoh, that could be the way to go. No hurry - new year is fine. Cheers Mick

Off the shelf isn't going to work is it ?

There's no guarantee of a tight fit, madam.  I figured i would need to send a luthier type chap bloke the neck, so he could then

match the dimensions of the fit in the neck pocket.  The rest, ...neck wood, scale, fretboard wood, headstock shape, could be whatever.