Why become a member? ×

Black Friday/Xmas gigs - Safety Tips!

chrisd783

Friday December 22nd is fast approaching, which for many of us means playing in a pub full of boozed-up people who have just finished work for Christmas.

Over the years I've heard horror stories of this night, and gigs close to Christmas in general, with drunk people being idiots and gear, bones and pride often being broken.

So I thought I'd start a thread so people can share experiences of this and hopefully get a few ideas on how to prevent any potential problems from people who think they are Rocky/Micky Flanagan/Marcus Miller after a few sherbets.

Go!

Clingfilm anything near the front of the stage on the floor that people are likely to tip beer into. Pedalboards, LED lights, monitors etc......
Also gaffa tape mic stands to the floor - this tactic saved our geetard/singerist from having a lump taken out of his rather expensive Les Paul a few months ago when someone knocked it into him.

Edited by Mudpup

I did one of these last year in a pub in Leicester city centre. I narrowed dodged being caught in a scuffle which erupted behind me as I was getting a pint, but got a drink thrown across my back while getting away from it.

The group of people involved got bundled out of the door, where they carried on battering each other and one guy got knocked out cold on the pavement.

Yeah, Merry Christmas indeed.

I'm not gigging on Black Friday this year as far as I'm aware, and I can't say i'm shedding a tear.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1508844643' post='3394768']
Only play at Oi gigs, as the regular audience don't tolerate the black Friday idiots :D
[/quote]

This is true.
We play Mod/Northern Soul/Ska and the largest percentage of our audience are skinheads/scooter boys (not the nazi skins mind) and while to the uninitiated it might look terrifying, they really are a great bunch who won't tolerate w***ers. The dancing can get violent but only ever amongst themselves.
I've found generally the scarier folks look, the nicer they are.