Welcome to the new site. We hope you enjoy it. We also hope you like this little sticky note. You can send them to each other or to yourself for reminders. 

Have a read of this thread (click) where I describe some new functions.

Take some time to try the new content search, maybe set up your own custom search and make it your bookmark.

A note about PMs - please read the note in the link above about PMs from the old site.

Thanks for visiting, and enjoy.

(you can dismiss this note so you won’t see it again)

Sign in to follow this  
Bassmonkey

Jack Casady

Hi all - I recently bought a Casady from Basschats own Mickeyboro. I was surprised at how sweetly it plays. I didn't especially like the amber knobs that come as standard so made a few aesthetic changes by adding a black switch control plate, black jack washer, new knobs and had a new custom pick guard made in black.

Now looks badass and proud.

Hope you approve. I think these are great value for money.

Andy [attachment=255034:IMG_0622.JPG]

[quote name='fftc' timestamp='1507197369' post='3383807']
Awesome!

Now, about that pick-up. :lol:
[/quote]

I know - I contacted Epi and they don't sell the bits separately including the pickup despite the fact that they range them. I'd defo be buying a black one should one ever come up for sale. Not holding my breath though. Ha ha

I had a white one and wanted to trade the scratchplate and pick up to white....sold it before I could make the changes.

Nice basses...

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1507235030' post='3384193']
I had a white one and wanted to trade the scratchplate and pick up to white....sold it before I could make the changes.

Nice basses...
[/quote]

We could have swapped!

I have a naked Jack Casady in need of a refinish. Hopefully it will one day turn up in here (unless anybody wants a naked Jack Casady?). I'm thinking Olive Drab or Gretsch Orange for mine, once I work out what is going on with it.

White one on ebay. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/382245624325?ul_noapp=true

Swap the pickup, sell it on. Job done! ;)

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1507413726' post='3385378']
I have a naked Jack Casady in need of a refinish. Hopefully it will one day turn up in here (unless anybody wants a naked Jack Casady?). I'm thinking Olive Drab or Gretsch Orange for mine, once I work out what is going on with it.
[/quote]
I’d love to see that. Gretsch Orange would be my choice. Is it stripped right back? Andy

Looks great - I've got a standard goldtop one and it looks awesome. Annoyingly it seems its taken me to play a big gold bass on stage for punters to actually notice I'm in the band....

But yeah it works for me. Looks mean in black too. Very cool.

[quote name='Bassmonkey' timestamp='1507479832' post='3385743']
I’d love to see that. Gretsch Orange would be my choice. Is it stripped right back? Andy
[/quote]

'Stripped right back' opens up a can of worms. I received the bass with some mild finish damage, so I tried to strip the sides and back of the body. There was a thick epoxy sealer coat under the back finish, and some really nice wood grain. Happy days! Only the wood grain on the back is a thin veneer that sanded right off the back of the bass. A small area of it bubbled up, so I've sanded it away and now I need to rebuild the area with Isopon P38 or similar. For reference this is an older Korean-made Casady from the 'Peerless' factory.

Why put a nice woodgrain veneer on a bass, and then hide it under a solid finish?

[quote name='Bassmonkey' timestamp='1507196798' post='3383802']
Hi all - I recently bought a Casady from Basschats own Mickeyboro. I was surprised at how sweetly it plays. I didn't especially like the amber knobs that come as standard so made a few aesthetic changes by adding a black switch control plate, black jack washer, new knobs and had a new custom pick guard made in black.

Now looks badass and proud.

Hope you approve. I think these are great value for money.

Andy [attachment=255034:IMG_0622.JPG]
[/quote]

Looks great, would you mind telling me where you sourced the parts from?

I used a Les Paul switch plate I had (Treble/Rhythm) just turned it over. Already had the vintage looking knobs. Bought a black jack socket washer and nut from eBay as a pick guard bracket in black. All bought for pence. The pick guard its self came from Jacksinstrumentsupplies.com. Great and easy to deal with. Sent my original and they copied it to spec and returned them both in about a week. Cost was just £29 then I transferred the Epiphone logo from my original. Hope that helps. Andy

[quote name='Bassmonkey' timestamp='1507645737' post='3386959']
I used a Les Paul switch plate I had (Treble/Rhythm) just turned it over. Already had the vintage looking knobs. Bought a black jack socket washer and nut from eBay as a pick guard bracket in black. All bought for pence. The pick guard its self came from Jacksinstrumentsupplies.com. Great and easy to deal with. Sent my original and they copied it to spec and returned them both in about a week. Cost was just £29 then I transferred the Epiphone logo from my original. Hope that helps. Andy
[/quote]

Great stuff, thank you.

IMG_5448.thumb.JPG.7a57f140a908d8b466837995defef5a2.JPGIMG_8621.thumb.JPG.e89ef4310cbc700b6c1fab940a9a2be7.JPGIMG_6198.thumb.JPG.be418b960bbb0d9c377525a1a6a5d99c.JPGFinished it. Added black machine heads and a new black bridge. I really like it but would still like a black JC pickup. Maybe one day one'll turn up. Hope you like it.

3 hours ago, Basvarken said:

Nice stealth JCS! xD
Maybe you could use shrink wrap foil that car painters use to make the pickup black?

It's an idea. I'll get one. I'm like a terminator - won't stop until I find one ha ha ha