Why become a member? ×

If you could only choose one filter pedal

Al Krow

2 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Nope, other way around: MuTron first, ******** second. 

Which proves something! The second sounded slightly more compressed… which i interpreted as analogue. Turns out I was wrong! Mystery sounds very nice though 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bassist_lewis said:

I kind of agree that envelope filters are very niche. I personally find very little use for them and I rarely hear many bass players use one tastefully, if at all. To me they are definitely associated with 19yo in college getting their first pedal.

Personally I think its drive, octave and compressors that are the most prevalent on bass players' boards.

As a 19 y/o in college the only pedal I'd really come across was a dirt pedal 😅

It's very much a funk bassist's pedal eg Bootsy Collins, although also often used in combination with other pedals eg check out the bass line on Fratellis' cover of Bacarra's "Yes sir I can boogie", which I think is very cool, or on several Tool tracks.

I'm sure the filter pedal users on this thread will be able to give plenty of examples of where it's been used tastefully and well. Obviously YMMV as to what's tasteful!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

As a 19 y/o in college the only pedal I'd really come across was a dirt pedal 😅

It's very much a funk bassist's pedal eg Bootsy Collins, although also often used in combination with other pedals eg check out the bass line on Fratellis' cover of Bacarra's "Yes sir I can boogie", which I think is very cool, or on several Tool tracks.

I'm sure the filter pedal users on this thread will be able to give plenty of examples of where it's been used tastefully and well. Obviously YMMV as to what's tasteful!

There are absolutely lots of great examples of them being used well, Mr Chancellor being one of them. My post makes me sound like a d**k (sometimes this is true), but I actually do appreciate a well placed filter. They just tend to be a bit over used IMHO, and used as a substitute for good playing.

9 hours ago, Bagman said:

Got some very funky tones via SGFX Bi Filter in a trio last night 

I don’t know if it’s my favourite all time filter but it’s pretty cool 

The Supafunk? Or is this a different one?