Why become a member? ×

If you could only choose one filter pedal

Al Krow

My Mutron has taken over. I really thought it would be hyped up and (after a couple of previous experiences) just had to check one out for myself, making sure I could return it. I didn’t! I love everything about it, it properly lives up to the reputation. It just sounds so warm and greasy. I did a thread with a sound clip somewhere. What I like most about it is using it in high range, which leaves your bass sound quite neutral u til you dig in or accent notes which get seamlessly dripped in funk in a way that just feels so ‘musical’ which I know is one of those stupid words like heft but it just works!

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
Posted (edited)

Resurrecting this old thread...why?

...because I've recently replaced my Proton Mk4, which is a great piece of kit, with an EBS IQ filter for a fraction of the cost and finding I'm really liking this new pedal! I suspect it's rapidly in danger of becoming my all time favourite filter pedal. The Q (bandwidth) function adds a delicious swell in a live setting.

Really nice review of its capabilities: Pascal Mulot demo of EBS BassIQ Blue Label Envelope Filter

How it sounds in a live mix: Al Krow (@al_krow) • Instagram photos and videos

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Resurrecting this old thread...why?

...because I've recently replaced my Proton Mk4, which is a great piece of kit, with an EBS IQ filter for a fraction of the cost and finding I'm really liking this new pedal! I suspect it's rapidly in danger of becoming my all time favourite filter pedal. The Q (bandwidth) function adds a delicious swell in a live setting.

Really nice review of its capabilities: Pascal Mulot demo of EBS BassIQ Blue Label Envelope Filter

How it sounds in a live mix: Al Krow (@al_krow) • Instagram photos and videos

Yes the EBS  is a nice filter 

This is a very interesting thread.  I have seen it over the years but never read it and then never felt I had anything to contribute.  I finally read the whole thing last weekend lol.

I have been playing and gigging for 35 years or so and never felt the need to use effects.  I was always curious about envelope filters but did not know what to get.  My first pedal was supposed to be one, I went in a shop could not find one so came out with an OC2, this was in 1994.  Plugged it in, messed around did not know what to do with it and it went back in the box and I sold it 15-20 years later.

I was thinking more about effects around 4 years ago so I thought again envelope filters.  Did some research and 3Leaf seemed to come up often and I wanted something small and simple so I thought Proton but could not find any and @fretmeister has always recommended Spectrum so I just bought that.  Great pedal but yet again did not know what to do with it.  Did not fit the bands I was playing in so I just put it back in the box but thought I would get back to it later.  2 ½ years ago a GR2 came up for a really low price so I thought why not try again and scratch that 3Leaf itch. Great pedal and lots of fun. Still not sure what to do with it.  6 months ago a Wonderlove came up for a very decent price so I thought why not.

Finally two of my bands want to do 90s dance music and modern synth pop so now I can finally get them out and use them with my OC5 and Rattler and boy it is so much fun and the sound in a band is epic.  I have to say I have only been using the 3Leaf and the GR2 is funkier and bubblier but the Wonderlove is politer and fits a little bit better with the OC5 for that 90s synth sound (I could happily use both and I will rotate them).  I have put the Spectrum on my guitar board and finally found a great home for it.  I love it. I will try it with my bands with bass as well.

I am so much enjoying this filter search that I got a IE Xerograph Del ordered when they opened up the orders last.  And I am seriously thinking about Emma DiscBob.  

How does the Emma compare to the other 3 I have already?

• Like 2