Why become a member? ×

Thumb Rests

cytania

[quote name='cytania' post='322775' date='Nov 5 2008, 04:32 PM']Particularly thinking of Fender here, were thumb rests optional? When did they switch to being above the strings and when did they stop doing them altogether?[/quote]

They used to be below the strings because back then, bassists played "thumb-style" rather than "finger-style".

They got rid of them altogether when they realised how utterly unnecessary they are. IMO.

S.P.

After having a butchers at my trusty fender Bass book it would appear that they moved from under to over during 74.

Looks like around 1981-2 until they were gone except for certain reissues.

If anyone's interested they only had one screw in the center until 1957 when they changed to a 2 screw plastic rest as opposed to the original wooden one

What Delberthot said...
Although, for some inexplicable reason, they are, these days, universally called thumbrests, even when installed below...you just try playing with your thumb down there. Finger rest! Additionally, the early single-screw rests were made from maple, raw, or painted black. The two-screw version was briefly on the SCPB before the split-coil debuted mid-57...
[/geek]

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='322779' date='Nov 5 2008, 04:35 PM']They used to be below the strings because back then, bassists played "thumb-style" rather than "finger-style".[/quote]

I was surprised to see a Youtube clip of Robbie Shakespeare using his thumb. I'd always assumed he used his fingers at the end of the fretboard, like 99.9% of reggae players I've seen.

But then, he isn't any ordinary reggae player. Salut!

Thumbrests still have a place in the modern world!

I had one made for my Streamer Std. I'd strung the bass with flats and decided that I wanted a rest that was level with my pickup so I could play at the neck. Here's the result...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=28877&st=0&p=298015&#entry298015"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry298015[/url]