Why become a member? ×

Recruitment + Gumtree = Braindead

Happy Jack

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1504337627' post='3364145']
some of the trouble may be people trying to improve their playing by performing with better musicians than they are, frustrating if you're one of the better musos, or trying to find out how good they are, as well as the totally delusional ones.
[/quote]

Very good and legit point. Playing with musicians out of your league of playing is great if someone gives a guy a chance. It definitely forces you to get better.

Blue

The real issue here is that people in general do not read due to lack of attention span and it is too easy to react to something (push of button/email). An unfortunate side effect of "progress". Musicians who never gig can be famous on Youtube and presidents can run a country by Tweet..... supposedly.

Working in recruitment advertising..
Recruiters biggest complaint is always too many unqualified applicants - while candidates will complain no one gets back to them when it's a no.

The 'single click apply' on job boards - and gumtree - means anyone with a passing whim or interest can feel it's worth a shot. Gumtree by definition is a very broad audience, so band ads on there will attract a lot of passing trade.

Personally I've found Gumtree ok to connect with other musicians through. One of the better sites in a bad bunch.

I guess I was pretty lucky when I found my band.
Found their ad on joinmyband, and I was honest upfront about my lack of gigging experience, and the fact that I was very much a beginner. I made sure to learn 4 of the songs in the week I had before meeting them at rehearsal and we took it from there. I had 6 weeks to learn 15 more songs ready for a gig, then we played another and I'm coming to the end of a second 15 songs in 6 weeks. We're getting bookings and things are going well.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that sometimes the inexperienced new player will put in the time to practice and make sure they're ready.
Maybe it's because I'm a bassist though, because all of us here know that we'll put in the time right?

No specific experience with Gumtree, but, in general, I'd suggest that there are as many successes as failures, and that every occasion is unique; there are no 'hard and fast' rules to follow. There's an element of lottery in there; you pays yer money, you takes yer choice. What looks to be a good deal can turn sour; a 'non-starter' could be the opening of a lifetime. Just sayin'.

This is going to sound a bit sexist... I don't really mean it that way but it was odd the way it turned out.

Placed ad in Gumtree something like, "Band, we play just for fun not for money, seeks new vocalist. Male or Female but must be able to sing xyz styles. Guitar or keys a bonus". We get paid but nobody makes a living out of it.

Fair few replies but every single woman who replied started with, "how much will I be getting paid?". What's that all about.... ?? So we got a bloke who split the band up inside 6 months :lol:

[quote name='Monkey Steve' timestamp='1504194460' post='3363322']

I feel your pain. Mostly (as above) from singers, who audition for originals bands saying that they haven't had time to learn any of the songs we sent them a couple of weeks earlier and do we know *some random cover*? Er, no, we don't play covers, let's try one of the ones you're supposed to have been learning (very poor audition follows, always)

Or they'll say that they have learned the songs and then demonstrate that they very clearly haven't, singing in the wrong places with no idea of the song's structure or vocal melody.

Had one once who did listen to the demo and decided that he would re-write all of the lyrics and vocal melodies - he thought to show off his skills, but as he conceded when i told him that he hadn't got the job, perhaps it was a mistake to not be singing the lines that we would be judging him on, and treating it like a song writing session, to see what worked and what didn't.

Although...

the best singer I've ever had at an audition was for a covers band. He walks in, says that he's learned a couple from the list we sent him but doesn't know them that well, can he start with Whole Lotta Rosie (one of the first songs we agreed we wouldn't do because it's too hackneyed) just to get warmed up? We all look at each other, everybody except me knows it backwards and I figure that I can busk it well enough, so OK, let's give that a quick run through.

He knocks it out of the park. Turns out he was also in an AC/DC tribute band, and now sings the AC/DC parts in Chris Slade's band. He goes outside for a fag and we all look at each other, grin, and agree to ask him to join.

I asked him about it afterwards. Told me he knew it was his best audition piece and would get him hired, whereas doing the stuff we'd suggested would be less polished.
[/quote]

Very interesting story and a great lesson about auditions. At the end if the day you do whatever it takes to get the job. That means regardless of their audition guidelines, the guy that wins is the guy that impressed everyone and knocks whatever he presents out of the park.

However, I think the dynamics of a vocal audition is a little different than bass guitar. For bass the guy that chooses the easier songs and nails them is going to look better than the guy who chooses to audition the more difficult material and struggles through the audition.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1504521184' post='3365357']
This is going to sound a bit sexist... I don't really mean it that way but it was odd the way it turned out.

Placed ad in Gumtree something like, "Band, we play just for fun not for money, seeks new vocalist. Male or Female but must be able to sing xyz styles. Guitar or keys a bonus". We get paid but nobody makes a living out of it.

Fair few replies but every single woman who replied started with, "how much will I be getting paid?". What's that all about.... ?? So we got a bloke who split the band up inside 6 months :lol:
[/quote]

When I win an audition and I'm offered a job before I accept the offer I ask several questions.

Those questions will be, how does the money work, how and when do I get paid and how much can I expect to make each month?

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1504554825' post='3365684']
One of those questions will be, how does the money work, how and when do I get paid and how much can I expect to make each month?

[/quote]

I'm pretty sure that's three questions, Blue.

Maybe four if you look at it just right.

:)

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1504554825' post='3365684']
When I win an audition and I'm offered a job before I accept the offer I ask several questions.

One of those questions will be, how does the money work, how and when do I get paid and how much can I expect to make each month?

Blue
[/quote]

Yeh - but I've only ever played in bands where we cover our expenses. I certainly have no problem with people looking for an income from singing. My point was really that I put in Gumtree, "it's not about the money" and still got a load of "how much will I get paid" responses. They're just going to be trouble :lol:

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1504599552' post='3365882']

Yeh - but I've only ever played in bands where we cover our expenses. I certainly have no problem with people looking for an income from singing. My point was really that I put in Gumtree, "it's not about the money" and still got a load of "how much will I get paid" responses. They're just going to be trouble :lol:
[/quote]

If your telling people up front that your offer does not involve financial compensation then yeah it's weird for someone to ask how much they're going to get paid.

Blue