Why become a member? ×

Chance to buy a GB Spitfire

bubinga5

Hey people.After buying a Sadowsky 5 (and loving it ) i want to get another 4 string..I have the chance to buy a GB Spitfire, which im going to try out this week..

.What should i expect from these basses, i have heard great things..This bass is roughly £1800, is this a good price for this instrument (in this current climate)..

Bass Ferrett/Phsycoandy if your out there...are they Sadowsky like, or something totally different, i have heard the electronics are very powerfull..Can i expect a Jazz growl or more of a modern punch??

Any thought appreciated!! :)

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' post='322106' date='Nov 4 2008, 07:49 PM']Hey people.After buying a Sadowsky 5 (and loving it ) i want to get another 4 string..I have the chance to buy a GB Spitfire, which im going to try out this week..

.What should i expect from these basses, i have heard great things..This bass is roughly £1800, is this a good price for this instrument (in this current climate)..

Bass Ferrett/Phsycocandy if your out there...are they Sadowsky like, or something totally different, i have heard the electronics are very powerfull..Can i expect a Jazz growl or more of a modern punch??

Any thought appreciated!! :)[/quote]

GB's will definetly give you a mix between the 2, a very Hi-Fi modern punchy tone, obviously it's also dependant on the woods but the main GB fundamental tone will still be there.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='322106' date='Nov 4 2008, 07:49 PM']This bass is roughly £1800, is this a good price for this instrument (in this current climate)..[/quote]

Hi mate

What's the spec on this bass? (Is it new, loaded with the GB LED/Controller system etc) because (without the benefit of knowing said specs) it seems pricey to me

I have had two basses (a rumour and a spitfire) custom built for me by Bernie and all I'll say is, for that kind of money, it'd be worth talking to the man himself!

Cheers
Dave

[quote name='pnefc42' post='322410' date='Nov 5 2008, 07:44 AM']Hi mate

What's the spec on this bass? (Is it new, loaded with the GB LED/Controller system etc) because (without the benefit of knowing said specs) it seems pricey to me

I have had two basses (a rumour and a spitfire) custom built for me by Bernie and all I'll say is, for that kind of money, it'd be worth talking to the man himself!

Cheers
Dave[/quote]

+1 - you'll get a new one for that

I played a couple of gigs with a GB 5 string, whilst it was a great instrument - it was certainly no j bass, the dual coil-ness and placement of the pickups along with the active circuit see to that.

[quote name='pnefc42' post='322410' date='Nov 5 2008, 07:44 AM']Hi mate

Cheers
Dave[/quote]Dave this is the bass,(sorry cant paste for some reason) www.guitarsales.co.uk last bass in 2nd hand basses..

What do you think on this price..I dont know how long hes had it. no LED's from what i know..

Edited by bubinga5

Hello,

looking at your location I am going to make a pretty big guess and say that it it is the spitfire for sale in Aroundabout sound in Cheltenham.

If this is the bass in question it is mind blowing. I was so near to buying this bass and the only thing that stopped me was the fact that I really wanted a 5er.

It is apparently a rare beast and Bernie apparently made 2-3 with the same piece of wood (not exactly the same piece) for a show of some kind. 2 were sold and this one was left. I think that was the story behind it.

It is very punchy and very clean and harmonics just ring out on this thing. I was in the shop for at leats an hour playing it. I would say it doesnt growl like a standard Jazz, but it has so much more. I have played a lot of high end basses and this just puts everything else to shame in terms of build quality and sound. It is smooth responsive and the EQ is very powerful. You would never have a problem cutting through with this.

All this is of course if we are talking about the same bass. This is the one in cheltenham:

[attachment=15616:3290_large.jpg]

EDIT: just read previous thread properly it is this bass. IT IS FABULOUS and they will most liekly do you a deal they are by far the best guitar shop I have ever been to.

Edited by NJE

[quote name='NJE' post='322560' date='Nov 5 2008, 11:51 AM']Hello,

looking at your location I am going to make a pretty big guess and say that it it is the spitfire for sale in Aroundabout sound in Cheltenham.

If this is the bass in question it is mind blowing. I was so near to buying this bass and the only thing that stopped me was the fact that I really wanted a 5er.

It is apparently a rare beast and Bernie apparently made 2-3 with the same piece of wood (not exactly the same piece) for a show of some kind. 2 were sold and this one was left. I think that was the story behind it.

It is very punchy and very clean and harmonics just ring out on this thing. I was in the shop for at leats an hour playing it. I would say it doesnt growl like a standard Jazz, but it has so much more. I have played a lot of high end basses and this just puts everything else to shame in terms of build quality and sound. It is smooth responsive and the EQ is very powerful. You would never have a problem cutting through with this.

All this is of course if we are talking about the same bass. This is the one in cheltenham:

[attachment=15616:3290_large.jpg][/quote]Yes tis that one NJE, calling Mark today to try it out..What do you think of the price bro???

[quote name='bubinga5' post='322106' date='Nov 4 2008, 07:49 PM']Hey people.After buying a Sadowsky 5 (and loving it ) i want to get another 4 string..I have the chance to buy a GB Spitfire, which im going to try out this week..

Bass Ferrett/Phsycoandy if your out there...are they Sadowsky like, or something totally different, i have heard the electronics are very powerfull..Can i expect a Jazz growl or more of a modern punch??

Any thought appreciated!! :)[/quote]

I agree on the price especially if its been used - seems pretty expensive. If its new then I suppose its about right. Call Bernie to just ask him about it he remembers his basses and will always look after you.

I owned one until recently. Gigged it for three years and it was solid. I think GB's are very well made and will last a lifetime and some.. Very modern/hifi sounding with classic looks. I always found the treble a bit full on but thats personal, theres no doubt they are awesome top to bottom. V classy. Like anything if you get on with it then buy it and enjoy! These are not old school basses in sound. IMO they create great, versatile sounds equivalent to any modern bass. They do not take the old school thing further. They are very fat and beefy! Piece of p*** to play too.

Hey,

Cool you will have a fun afternoon with this bad boy. When I tried it it needed a clean and some new string but it was still awesome! They have Eden amps in stock now so you will get a brilliant idea of how it sounds.

I personally thought that £1700 was a weenie bit high but I don't know a huge amount about New GB prices. I would say £1500 or somewhere close would be a great price. Don't get me wrong though I still think it is worth the money, and you will not be thinking I got ripped off if you buy at this price. It is simply fantastic, but maybe if you threw some cash their way they could do you a deal and get the numbers down.

Good luck and i hope you like it. let us all know how you get on.

Cheers,

Nathan

[quote name='bubinga5' post='322552' date='Nov 5 2008, 11:41 AM']Dave this is the bass,(sorry cant paste for some reason) www.guitarsales.co.uk last bass in 2nd hand basses..

What do you think on this price..I dont know how long hes had it. no LED's from what i know..[/quote]

Ah right - this bass is quite highly spec'ed in terms of the facing timber, fretboard binding etc and does look the dogs to boot! Still think £1750 is on the high side price wise - as a comparison there is a beautiful and immaculate used quilted maple topped spitfire currently for sale in Mansons in Exeter for £1399 (I'm sure Adrian would have some roon for negotiation on that)

Best thing is to have a play, see if it floats your boat and then haggle!!

Cheers
Dave

[quote name='pnefc42' post='322637' date='Nov 5 2008, 01:32 PM']Ah right - this bass is quite highly spec'ed in terms of the facing timber, fretboard binding etc and does look the dogs to boot! Still think £1750 is on the high side price wise - as a comparison there is a beautiful and immaculate used quilted maple topped spitfire currently for sale in Mansons in Exeter for £1399 (I'm sure Adrian would have some roon for negotiation on that)

Best thing is to have a play, see if it floats your boat and then haggle!!

Cheers
Dave[/quote]

[attachment=15635:mansonsspitfire.jpg]

This is the Manson's Spitfire. Bernie and I spotted it for sale in Exeter and so we took a photo of it (Bernie is the guy holding it). Pretty nice example with matching burst headstock if I seem to recall. No binding on the neck or anything like that though but beautiful anyway.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='322999' date='Nov 5 2008, 09:37 PM']The GB shots of that bass. Snakewood fingerboard by the looks of things... talking really exotic wood on that particular spitifire then...[/quote]

Yeah it has a snakewood fingerboard and the top is just beautiful, it really is a very special instrument. The owner is only selling because he has a cluster of vintage fenders and musicman as well I believe. Got to say I would choose this over any fender any day of the week, but thats just me.

[quote name='NJE' post='323259' date='Nov 6 2008, 10:25 AM']Yeah it has a snakewood fingerboard and the top is just beautiful, it really is a very special instrument. The owner is only selling because he has a cluster of vintage fenders and musicman as well I believe. Got to say I would choose this over any fender any day of the week, but thats just me.[/quote]

You don't see me with any Fenders :)

Definitely is a snakewood board. I played this bass back in the Spring when Mark decided to put it up for sale in the shop. This is the bass that made me decide that a GB bass was for me! The only reason that I decided not to buy it was that I wanted to go the whole hog and choose my own woods etc. I think that £1,750 is a fair price as it is roughly £2,500 for a new Spitfire in the same spec.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='322999' date='Nov 5 2008, 09:37 PM']The GB shots of that bass. Snakewood fingerboard by the looks of things... talking really exotic wood on that particular spitifire then...[/quote]