Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How much for a Steinberger M Series?

Cabal

How much should i pay for a Steinberger M series bass approx?

Early 90's, good cond. Sorry, no more info at the moment.

Could do with some help on this asap, because the guy's waiting for an offer as i type! :)

Cheers,

Jake M

Edited by Jake_M

They're a total bargain in the US, I've seen some go for $800-1200 because they're so 80's. But Steinbergers are design classics and great basses. It only needs one name bassist to start playing one again and watch the values go through the roof.

Do a search on Ebay for completed listings.

The M series is the more conventional 'guitar' shaped Steinberger as designed by Roger Giffin (some say in association with Mike Rutherford)?

Often referred to as an XM2/A

If so then I was offered a red with white binding one (my fave colour for these) for under $1,000 a couple of months ago. Did some haggling around the $800 mark but didn't get anywhere in the end.

Probably a decent marker for US prices would be $1,000 for one in really good condition with dealers asking more like $1,200.

Hope that helps :)

[quote name='molan' post='321398' date='Nov 3 2008, 10:35 PM']The M series is the more conventional 'guitar' shaped Steinberger as designed by Roger Giffin (some say in association with Mike Rutherford)?

Often referred to as an XM2/A

If so then I was offered a red with white binding one (my fave colour for these) for under $1,000 a couple of months ago. Did some haggling around the $800 mark but didn't get anywhere in the end.

Probably a decent marker for US prices would be $1,000 for one in really good condition with dealers asking more like $1,200.

Hope that helps :)[/quote]
Yes, thats the M series, and it helps. Cheers. :huh:

Just had a quick look on Harmony Central and average price is below even $800 - although prices there always seem really low!

There's a dealer with a white model with fitted hard case selling at $1,299 on US EBay as well. Found another dealer with a white one that he sold last year at $850 so there's definitely quite a range of prices.

Trans Trem models will effect value as well - very mixed opinions on the TT though. . .

[quote name='MB1' post='321150' date='Nov 3 2008, 06:14 PM']MB1. :huh:
All Depends on whose been playing Reggae on it?.[/quote]

MB1. :huh:
Sorry was thinking.... the carbon graphite cricket bat ala Sly and Robbie! wrong model! :)