Why become a member? ×

Electro-Harmonix Bass Clone Chorus pedal - Opinions?

Osiris

Looking to possibly get a relatively cheap chorus pedal to add to my sparse, boring utilitarian pedal board and like the sound of the bass clone from what I've found online.

Anyone used one? What are your thoughts on it? Any known issues with it?

I bought one recently,first order was returned as it was way too noisey. EH quality control has been the subject of one or two online debates...

It has a nice old school sound going on,not a great deal of variety but does what I require of it well. It has a well thought out tone control set up a la Boss Bass chorus pedal which emphasises the effect on the high end and reduces it on the low end.

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1501797548' post='3347485']
Osiris - just get the MXR Bass chorus deluxe like i told you, there will be no disappointment, and i even comes with flange.......
[/quote]

Cheers Cuzzie but I I had a listen to the MXR but found it a bit too clinical for my medieval tastes. :blink:
And it's about £100 more than the EHX and the Boss CEB-3, both of which sound more organic and warm to my questionable ears.
Plus I have all the flange I can eat on tap :lol:

Edited by Osiris

[quote name='Zummerbass' timestamp='1501781558' post='3347348']
I bought one recently,first order was returned as it was way too noisey. EH quality control has been the subject of one or two online debates...

It has a nice old school sound going on,not a great deal of variety but does what I require of it well. It has a well thought out tone control set up a la Boss Bass chorus pedal which emphasises the effect on the high end and reduces it on the low end.
[/quote]

Yeah, I appreciate that EHX have had some QA issues over the years, but hopefully they've resolved that by now?
The old school vibe is definitely what I'm looking for and from what I've heard on YouTube (duly taken with a pinch of salt) the bass clone does it pretty well.

I demoed the EHX, BOSS and MXR back to back and it wasn't even close. The EHX I found to be quite dark sounding, the BOSS was 'OK' but a bit thin and the MXR sounded awesome. I didn't get the chance to try the stereo options. I never use the flanger and the price tag was way higher but the quality gap was massive. No regrets. I've also found the simple crossover button to be tuned exactly right. It gets the effect right out of the way of the fundamentals - in fact I've discovered that once your strings are a bit worn in, you can hammer away on the E string and then go for a high fill and the chorus just emerges as you play the fill. I think the Boss is digital too - so not really old skool. The MXR is definitely analogue.

[quote name='radiophonic' timestamp='1501832443' post='3347602']
I demoed the EHX, BOSS and MXR back to back and it wasn't even close. The EHX I found to be quite dark sounding, the BOSS was 'OK' but a bit thin and the MXR sounded awesome. I didn't get the chance to try the stereo options. I never use the flanger and the price tag was way higher but the quality gap was massive. No regrets. I've also found the simple crossover button to be tuned exactly right. It gets the effect right out of the way of the fundamentals - in fact I've discovered that once your strings are a bit worn in, you can hammer away on the E string and then go for a high fill and the chorus just emerges as you play the fill. I think the Boss is digital too - so not really old skool. The MXR is definitely analogue.
[/quote]

There you go Sid, remember the clip I sent you was one setting.

Jump down the Rabbit hole and take a chance.....

[quote name='radiophonic' timestamp='1501832443' post='3347602']
[/quote][quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1501836438' post='3347631']
There you go Sid, remember the clip I sent you was one setting.

Jump down the Rabbit hole and take a chance.....
[/quote]

Cheers guys, I'll do some more digging and see what I think of the MXR, and hopefully get my hands on one to try. Can't say that what I've heard on YouTube has convinced me that it's the sound I'm after, but we all know that gear sounds much different when you try it for real as opposed to listening to it online.

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1501838385' post='3347654']
Hopefully they would have one in ye olde shoppe to have a go, but if you are near me ever, door is open
[/quote]

Cheers old chap, I'll give you a shout next time I'm out in the wild west if I haven't already picked something up.

[quote name='2elliot' timestamp='1501869234' post='3347963']
I've been gigging with the new bass clone since they came out. It works for me, sounds like old school chorus and is relatively low in price. Build quality feels okay... not top quality but certainly robust enough to gig. Never tried MXR but a lot of people do seem to like them. I had an EBS multi chorus before this, that was a bit to subtle for my taste but very well built.
[/quote]

Edited by 2elliot

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought one to replace my EBS Unichorus (it's started getting issues).
So far I'm incredibly happy with it. Not to mention that it's absolutely bombproof like every other EHX pedal I own.
The X-over feature does it for me and really helps the effect cut through and be heard. Lovely peice of kit.

• Like 1