Why become a member? ×

Confidence Issues

thebigyin

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1498729739' post='3326582']
Do you have any mates that play in a band and maybe go along to some of their rehearsals and just take the reigns on a song for a bit and see if that helps relax you a bit and hopefully ease yourself back into it.
I didn't play in bands for approx 20 yrs altho it was down to work. Been back into it since turning 50. Until this band i was usually quite nervous so never give up on "da bass" sir.
All else fails you could consider councilling or therapy whatever you prefer to call it. I underwent stress councilling thru work good few yrs ago and its surprising how well it works by just talking to a complete stranger. Pretty sure your GP could help there.

Wishing you success rather than best wishes cause i know you'll beat this and get back out there gigging.
If you stay anywhere near the Scottish Borders i'd be happy to let you come along to our rehearsals for a wee blast. Its all very relaxed with no pressure and just a great bunch of guys all aged same as you and older. :)

Dave
[/quote]

Thanks Dave that's really kind of you i have quite a few friends in bands but unfortunately with me working nights during the week they rehearse midweek so a bit stumped thanks for your reply

Firstly i would like to thank everyone who has given me advice and support i am gobsmacked lol
I have always been a bit of a poet and lyricist and over the years have written many poems, songs and ditties i find writing very good for me....anything from dark to comical...i play my Acoustic guitar quite a bit and find joy from that..and obviously my Bass
But once again thankyou so much for your replies and advice i will keep pluggin away....cheers Bob

Edited by thebigyin

get your doc to prescribe Avanza (Mirtazapine) for you, or something he recommends. I had anxiety so bad I'd pull out of an evening with my best friends for no valid reason, just extreme anxiety.

Since the doc put me on this drug I sleep easily without laying awake worrying about work etc.

Even gigging again after 20 years off doesn't faze me, and we're playing gentle originals that are not my favourite musical style.

My life literally change from the moment I started taking this drug. Drugs are good man :)

Hope you find a workable solution, best of luck :)

As everyone has said....don't sell your gear, you'll regret it.

You might try contacting a local teacher who may know of other guitarists or musicians who are free in the afternoon for a jam....take small steps and all that. If you can't do evenings, there's always a bit busking to be done, railway stations are good places (you'll need to ask permission)....you could donate proceeds to a local mental health charity? Having busked at a train station for charity I was surprised how anonymous it is, as in, no-one bothers you and you don't feel awkward or exposed, especially if there are 2 or three of you.

Never give in, as Churchill famously said.

Weekend rehearsals might be an option if you work nightshifts thru the week.
I nearly always rehearsed at weekends. This is the first band i've been in that rehearses mid-week.
If you have mates in bands why not ask them to help with this by arranging an occasional weekend get together with their band and you go along and play a couple of songs even doubling up with existing bassist and that way he knows the songs and you can drop in and out as required.

Dave

You have a very supportive wife there

Is it worth seeing if there is another night worker you can jam with ? You'd be on the same schedule which you state as an issue when trying to play with day workers.

Definitely don't sell any gear