Why become a member? ×

For Sale - Replica Fender Custom Shop 62

Hello People ,

My first post.....and its to try and get dosh off you!!!

Right , Have tried three times to list this on Evil Bay, but they keep pulling it off so thought I'd try here after a recommendation.

I have a custom made, REPLICA, of a 62 Custom Shop Jazz Bass for grabs, I had it made for me 2 years ago by a guy in Manchester of some 20+ years experience and as I use a Geddy Lee & a Jaco signature basses I wasn't just going to settle for any piece of rubbish.

The body is Alder and finished in Daphne Blue, the scratchplate is a very light mint green to look more aged, the bass has custom wound PUPS that give it a really good spectrum of sounds and it has the PUP cover and F Ashtray bridge cover.
The neck is a gem, in rosewood and finished with a nitro cellulose lacquer so again it looks aged. Has skunk stripe and a fat C shape. Back of the headstock has the Custom Shop decal applied.

Good Machine heads, low ratio, never let me down from a tuning point of viewand headstock has Fender decal applied to look the part.

There is a slight dent to the fretboard at top edge of 2nd fret where I caught it on the side of the door frame at our rehearsal room, but this in no way affects playability.

You can here the bass itself by going to

www.myspace.com/shortwavefade

All songs were recorded in March of this year using this bass.

I am selling it purely as I have decided to quit the band following the birth of our Twin Boys. Together with a 4 year old they mean I simply cannot give the band the necessary support it needs...gutted but there you go, As a result I am reducing my "stock"....

I paid a fair old bit for this.....a lot more than a Squire...however I understand that it is really only worth what ever someone is willing to pay....so If anyone is willing to part with £275. they can have a truly lovely bass. I am based in Leicester and you are welcome to try it out first, if your not happy then no problem.

Ok folks thanks very much if you 've taken the time to read this.

Cheers
Matt
Ps if the pics don't load please email me for photos on [email protected][attachment=1207:2007_062...ssey0146.JPG]

Slash's Gibson isn't a genuine Gibson but it has the Gibson badge on the headstock. Gibson don't mind at all and have given him a signature Gibson which he doesn't use. There isn't a point to this post - I just wanted to see how many times I could get Gibson into one post.

Edited by The Funk

[quote name='The Funk' post='33086' date='Jul 17 2007, 03:15 PM']Slash's Gibson isn't a genuine Gibson but it has the Gibson badge on the headstock. Gibson don't mind at all and have given him a signature Gibson which he doesn't use. There isn't a point to this post - I just wanted to see how many times I could get Gibson into one post.[/quote]

Lol! you're right about Slash, but I think there's more at stake there ;-)

Each to their own I guess...

[quote name='The Funk' post='33086' date='Jul 17 2007, 03:15 PM']Slash's Gibson isn't a genuine Gibson but it has the Gibson badge on the headstock. Gibson don't mind at all and have given him a signature Gibson which he doesn't use. There isn't a point to this post - I just wanted to see how many times I could get Gibson into one post.[/quote]

I never knew that! You'd have thought by now he could afford a proper one :)

[quote name='odub' post='33099' date='Jul 17 2007, 03:35 PM']I never knew that! You'd have thought by now he could afford a proper one :)[/quote]

Just because something has got a brand logo on it doesn't mean its a better instrument

[quote name='TimmyC' post='33239' date='Jul 17 2007, 07:52 PM']Just because something has got a brand logo on it doesn't mean its a better instrument[/quote]

Yeah I agree completly, That was a joke.

Thanks for the welcomes and cheers to Gaf for the recommendation...

Ok - I had this made as I wanted the 62 vibe and feel but there was no way I could justify that amount of money. The bass was never intended to be my main instrument. I used it far more than I planned but as I no longer use it for the band I was in, I thought someone else may want it.....Plus i need to fund purchase of Gafs 6 String!!!!!! LOL.

The Fender decals were merely to finish off the look......In terms of the maker, He is a Luthier of some 20-25 years and has made me an acoustic bass previously , so I asked him to do this project.

Thanks for looking anyway and if anyone wants to try it , please drop me a line.

Cheers

[quote name='the hand of john curley' post='33339' date='Jul 17 2007, 10:57 PM']HI Si,

Guys name is David, hes' based in Manchester, but has a "job" with a gigging band . He makes basses and guitars as a sideline .

Cheers

Matt[/quote]

Is that David Kelly - known as 'benton_music' on eBay...?

[quote name='David Nimrod' post='33413' date='Jul 18 2007, 06:38 AM']Is he the guy that does those Jaco 'tribute' basses that he says are so good?[/quote]

Thats him. Not sure about his other stuff, but spent about 6 months discussing this bass with him, as I didn't want ot end up with a pile of sh1te. A guitarist Iknow had bought one of his PRS and was really impressed, so suggested I contact him. Really very pleased with the result.

[quote name='the hand of john curley' post='33420' date='Jul 18 2007, 08:06 AM']Thats him. Not sure about his other stuff, but spent about 6 months discussing this bass with him, as I didn't want ot end up with a pile of sh1te. A guitarist Iknow had bought one of his PRS and was really impressed, so suggested I contact him. Really very pleased with the result.[/quote]

A friend of mine bought a Tele from him (copy of the Albert Lee model) - he absolutely loves, as does everyone who plays it.
David is definitely a cool guy...probably doesn't charge enough for the work he puts in.

[quote name='David Nimrod' post='33413' date='Jul 18 2007, 07:38 AM']Is he the guy that does those Jaco 'tribute' basses that he says are so good?[/quote]

I have had a go on one of his Jaco basses - it was very good value for money & played lovely. It wasn't in the 'fantastic' class -but then he only charges less than £2-250 for them...