Why become a member? ×

Wrong Key

mr zed

[quote name='dand666' timestamp='1496933653' post='3314816']
Learn songs in numbers then transposing becomes easy.
[/quote]

Definitely! Also for learning what your major/minor/dominant/diminished chords are in any key, helps so much for creating lines and fills.

On one of the biggest outdoor gigs I'd ever played Ipicked up my 5 string and started playing horribly out of tune with everyone else but not by an instantly recoverable amount. It was excruciating. i had to stop and swap basses.
I couldn't see the leds on my tuner so pulled out my spare lcd analogue when I had tuned my 5string between sets. Somehow the calibration on this rarely used tuner had been changed from 440hz to something else.

[quote name='lonestar' timestamp='1497044654' post='3315601']
On one of the biggest outdoor gigs I'd ever played Ipicked up my 5 string and started playing horribly out of tune with everyone else but not by an instantly recoverable amount. It was excruciating. i had to stop and swap basses.
I couldn't see the leds on my tuner so pulled out my spare lcd analogue when I had tuned my 5string between sets. Somehow the calibration on this rarely used tuner had been changed from 440hz to something else.
[/quote]

Ouch! My heart goes out to you there.

[quote name='mr zed' timestamp='1496163331' post='3309268']
Started a song at a gig last weekend in the wrong key. This is a song we've been playing for ages and it starts on an F sharp. Started it in F. What a knob!
[/quote]
Your'e not alone , I play sometimes at Jam nights and not knowing the songs there have been some occasions where I have played what I thought was the right notes only to realise half way through a song that i'm playing the wrong thing, is usually the brief notes played to transition from one chord to the next rather than the main parts of the songs but still.

There was one occasion were I went to a jam night with a guitarist friend and he wanted to play Crossroads, we went up and we had this other guy join on vocals. My friend started playing, I started playing and due to the awful racket of two musicians completely out of tune with each other it became clear very quickly we not playing in the same key, I glanced a look at him to say what the hell , I realised he was playing it in E not A and started playing in the key of E as well.
Afterwards I was told that the singer had told him (obviously very quietly) that he could not sing it in A and asked him to play it in E, I laugh about this now but at the time it wasn't that funny