Why become a member? ×

Bible of Bass

Pissman

[quote name='The Funk' post='317604' date='Oct 29 2008, 02:32 PM']Agreed.

There is a book called something like "The Bass Bible" as well somewhere.[/quote]

Thats what i posted earlier...
I should have said...sorry.. :)

[url="http://www.bassplace.com/ST047.html"]http://www.bassplace.com/ST047.html[/url]

Garry

The Bass Bible is a very good book, but I wouldn't neccesarily buy it to learn basic theory - the section on music theory is pretty brief and the book is far better at presenting an analysis of dozens of different styles of contemporary music and a number of renowned players. It's a great source of ideas and inspiration.

Do a google search for basic music theory. There are dozens of good sites out there.

[quote name='bassbloke' post='318692' date='Oct 30 2008, 10:27 PM']The Bass Bible is a very good book, but I wouldn't neccesarily buy it to learn basic theory - the section on music theory is pretty brief and the book is far better at presenting an analysis of dozens of different styles of contemporary music and a number of renowned players. It's a great source of ideas and inspiration.

Do a google search for basic music theory. There are dozens of good sites out there.[/quote]

I disagee, this book is a complete load af sh*te, total waste of £20 sterling completely overhyped

[quote name='4 candles' post='322988' date='Nov 5 2008, 09:23 PM']I disagee, this book is a complete load af sh*te, total waste of £20 sterling completely overhyped[/quote]

I can't comment on that book, although anything that promises to teach you 'licks' is likely to be rubbish. One to avoid is the Bass Playing for Dummies book, which gets rave reviews all over the Internet, yet is complete and utter tosh.

Stevie

[quote name='4 candles' post='322988' date='Nov 5 2008, 09:23 PM']I disagee, this book is a complete load af sh*te, total waste of £20 sterling completely overhyped[/quote]

I disagree with that. I have had the Bass Bible for 10 years and find it a constant source of inspiration. It has basslines from rock through soul and funk, to latin, a whole chapter on African basslines and much more. Not a tutor book or a theory book but full of great lines in all styles.

Hello, I have a book by Stuart Clayton which is fantastic, its not preachy its friendly to read and is to the point and helpful. I think its called "100 tips for bass guitar you should have"

I found it great for the basics and some good hand excercises, Massive thumbs up from me.