Why become a member? ×

Taking spares to gigs

FinnDave

Best to always have spares. You can`t cover everything as taking an extra of everything along is impractical, but spare bass, leads, batteries, strings, Preamp/DI pedal is essential imv. The only people I`ve seen need a spare bass have been those where the electrics have packed up for some reason, never to do with string breakage. One was at The Rebellion Festival in front of some 1000 people - luckily one of the other bands lent the guy a bass, but if your sound is dependent on something specific, well have a spare just in case.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1494675470' post='3297769']
I'm starting a shopping list...

1) spare cab
2) bigger car to carry two cabs
3) spare car in case new bigger car fails to start
4) clone of self in case I break down (again!)
5) spare drummer, spare guitarist, spare vocalist
6) spare venue
7) spare audience
8) spare planet

I think that covers most eventualities!
[/quote]

It does, but only if your spare drummer doesn't forget his stick bag like your main drummer 😂

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1494685046' post='3297855']
It's absolutely nothing to do with being professional or otherwise. It's all to do with practicability and money.

If I'm catching the train to Bristol for a solo gig, like I am in a few weeks, I'm not going to be able to take 2 of everything with me, and yes I said a solo gig, so even more important that everything works. I recently played 2 gigs in a Paris, it's just not practical or cost effective to have 2 of everything.
[/quote]

I play over 65 gigs annually with my band, all types of venues, from bars to large festival stages.

Over the last 40 years I always bring a spare bass. I've never had to use the spare, however I will continue to bring the spare.

I've seen how embarrassing it is when your at a gig, your instrument fails and you don't have a back up.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1494888536' post='3299410']
I play over 65 gigs annually with my band, all types of venues, from bars to large festival stages.

Over the last 40 years I always bring a spare bass. I've never had to use the spare, however I will continue to bring the spare.

I've seen how embarrassing it is when your at a gig, your instrument fails and you don't have a back up.

Blue
[/quote]

Is that because there's not a lot really that can go wrong with a passive bass?

My bass is active, but has the option to switch to passive if something did go wrong with the circuit.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1494890277' post='3299415']

My bass is active, but has the option to switch to passive if something did go wrong with the circuit.
[/quote]

Yes, passive is really low risk. Now, I remember once at a gig the 9 volt in my G&L ASAT bass failed. I had a spare but I managed to switch out the bad 9 volt during a break. It was a pain in the arse.

BTW, I'm not sure, but in the G&L ASAT if the 9 volt fails the bass is useless in passive mode as well.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1494890277' post='3299415']

[/quote]

As I have said, my new, passive Fender Jazz was rendered unplayable half way through a gig last week as it, and the stand it was on, fell over and was damaged by a cymbal. Spare bass saved the day. New amp failed on the same gig, spare amp saved the day. A few years ago, drummer failed on the way to a gig (diverted to hospital), my right foot beating out 4 to the bar on the wooden stage saved the day!

The moral is obvious, always bring a backup of everything, especially the drummer!